Advice needed for fowlr tank set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hawks12

Every time I go to the LFS for stuff and take my wife she always points out various fish (lions, triggers, puffers, etc) and wants them. Each time I tell her they are not "reef safe". This week while in the store she said, with a serious look, "Then I guess we need another tank". After I got back up off the floor I told her that those fish require large tanks, perhaps larger than our current 100 gal mixed reef. She said, again with a serious look, "Fine, I want it". She then pointed to the display tank in the middle of the store ( the big one at BR in Renton) and suggested that!I don't have room for that size, but what would you guys suggest for a fowlr tank size to be moderately stocked with aggressive fish? I can fit a six footer, and I was thinking I could have pretty deep dimensions since lighting for corals won't be an issue. I have no experience keeping those fish. I was also thinking bare bottom since a cuc would just become a snack. Any advice before I start shopping?

I say get the roll of tape, and tape measure out and see what fits. I would rather see someone do a 60x30 footprint vs a 72x18. Also look at your RF sponsors, and even contact an actual tank manufacturer. Just my .02.

Although a 6ft tank would look really cool or even an 8 footer, I agree on the 60x30 footprint over the 72x18. The fish will thank you for it as they don't just swim from one end of the tank to the other and that's it, but they swim in all directions so you will essentially be giving them more swimming area this way. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide though and I would go with what appeals to you more. You are one of the lucky few out there that has a significant other interested in the hobby as well. My wife could care less if she ever saw a fish tank again in life LOL.

+1 on the 60x30.

my tank is 36 inches wide and love it !!! it opens alot of aquascaping options. Plus before you buy this tank, i would ask your wife for a list of fish she would want in this tank, see if they are compatible, and then plan accordingly.

Back