Advice needed for UV Sterilizer Purchase

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

I have 100 gallons overall to filter overall (includes sump) and am looking for a UV sterilizer. I'll likely upgrade in tank size to 200-300 gallons in the next few years, so need some potential room for growth.

What make/model would you recommend?

Please tell me about what UV sterilizers you have and what you like about them, what you don't like about them. And, if you had to do it again, what would you buy. Thanks!

Ben :D :D :D

Oh, and cuz I know someone will ask.... i'd like it beefy enough to support algae control and parasite control.

I'd also be interested in any products you'd definately stay away from based on experiences..

thx for sharing! :p

what, everyone likes to help the guy out with the calcium reactor advice, no one to give me UV sterilizer advice :?:

:p

any advice? suggestions?

yes - finally someone to pay attention to me.. :D :D :D Thanks Matt!

I'd like one for 2 reasons - nahh.. maybe 3
1) algae control - cleaner water, cleaner tank
2) to help prevent fish diseases

and the third...

3) I like gizmos

Matt- you had one right? what did you go with? what did/didn't you like about it?

Nope, didn't have a UV sterilizer. I never saw the point of it and I read differing opinions on it. I also read a few statements that it also killed beneficial things. I did run Ozone for a while but I eventually took that down as well. They are just maintenance items to me and my philosophy was always keep it simple. Water changes and a good skimmer always worked for me.

Sorry I couldn't point you in the right direction for a UV gizmo. :)

that's Ok. I appreciate the bump :D :D :D

I've got hair algae growing on my LR in my sump even though I have chaeto. I know it's cuz i've been feeding a lot recently with my new fish friends (anthias- who are supposed to eat like 2-4 times per day) so it would help if I could cut down on nutrients, but doesn't look that is going to be an option..

That's why I was looking for a UV primarily - algae control..

but then I read about how they can be good if you have a fish infection outbreak or something and although I haven't had one yet (knock on wood), I figure it would be good to have for that reason too, just in case.

yeah, plus the whol gizmo thing (LOL)

I ran the larger version of that twister one, dont remember the name. Since I run ozone I saw no difference. I dont think it going to cure any algae problems. The bacterial film is not a concern since its on surfaces not free swimming. I think they are way over rated but I guess every little thing helps.

Don

Darnit - two votes for "not necessary" :( :( :(

Other opinions? come on, there's gotta be someone out there who has one that they love and has solved all of there problems, right? :D

Great suggestion= add a 2nd skimmer instead

I have done just what Matt had suggested I pulled the UV added a Redundant skimmer at a different location on the tank = Very beneficial for my system with the 2 skimmer theory I get from the bigger skimmer a more clear & wet skim mate while the Redundant unit which is a little smaller pulls extreme black stinky skim mate so thats my 2 cents
I also didn't like the fact the UV was killing My pods for my Mandarin..:mad:

Hope this helps...Jeff

add a 2nd skimmer instead :)

Back