Advice on bulkhead fitting install

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I am installing the bulkhead fitting on my sump for the pump return. It is below the waterline, so I want it to be water tight for obvious reasons. Should I put the gasket on the water side or outside the tank? Also should I use any sealant (ie Silicone or other)??

I crawled around under my house last night installing PVC and drilling holes through the floor and walls (sump to tank). I'm getting closer to almost being nearly done. :) I will take some photos to post later.

Thanks for the help (again)

Hi, Put the gasket on the inside because the gasket is supposed to be on the inside to perform its function of creating a water tight seal. And use 100% Silicone on the threads on the outside of the bulkhead when screwing it in. This will make sure that it is firm but could be taken off if needed.

Goodluck

It hardens to some extent but not to the extent that it cannot be removed with force. It produces a water tight seal but not unbreakable. So, you have to be careful with the bulkhead after you let the silicone dry. I also would put a little of silicone around the outside of the bulkhead that is on the inside of the tank. Smear it all the way around the edge. Let the silicone cure for at least 24 hours if not 48 before putting water in.

Goodluck

Bob as far as I know and from what I've seen folks use the regular old clear hardening type silicone sealant HTH

lol...we musta pushed "submit reply" at the same exact time ;)

RegalFlush17 said:
It hardens to some extent but not to the extent that it cannot be removed with force. It produces a water tight seal but not unbreakable. So, you have to be careful with the bulkhead after you let the silicone dry. I also would put a little of silicone around the outside of the bulkhead that is on the inside of the tank. Smear it all the way around the edge. Let the silicone cure for at least 24 hours if not 48 before putting water in.

Goodluck

I have used 100% silicone for my tanks, and I have heard many other people do the same. I have never had a leak.

goodluck

Hi Bob,
The seal can go on either side of the tank depending on what side you put the bulkhead flange. The gasket must always be against the flange of the bulkhead not the nut. Silicone grease works the best with the silicone type gaskets (they are the clear type ones that come with most of the on-line bulkheads). For the black gaskets (rubber type) do use silicone on them. For both types do not over tighten the nut. Keep an eye on the gasket to make sure it does not squish out from the flange. It should be covered by the flange with nothing pushing beond the flange edge.

Regards,
Kevin

Back