After much contemplation, I finally treated the flatworms.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I have had a growing flatworm problem since they came in on a frag. Been siphoning them, but recently they had taken over. Tried to get some Flatworm Exit locally, but could not find any. Started reading on Reef Central about alternate treatments using pig de-wormer. That is now banned after people were cutting cocaine with it.

Finally found a RC guy selling pure Levamisole. Read tons of threads and finally ordered 3 5 gram packets.

Got brave enough today to try it. Diverted my overflow into a large filter sock and filled the Phos reactor and a Magnum 350 with carbon and poured it in. Within 5 minuted the little red buggers started floating 15 minutes in there were thousands of them floating and more hanging by strings from rocks. Used the magnum 350 to blow off the rocks and gravel now they are mostly gone.

Most the corals were unaffected. Frogspawn and candy canes almost normal. Most SPS still have polyps extended. Rbta retracted, but is starting to come out now. A large devils hand looks the worst, but will likely be ok.

Hundreds of tiny legged starfish are floating. I have not seen them before. They are about 1" across with spider like thin legs and almost no body.

Some snails have fallen off the glass, but RC posters said they recover. The fish are all hiding, but I can see them in the rocks I have emptied the filter sock and put it back in. The water is yellow now, so the carbon needs to do it's job.

Overall after two hours, I am pleased, not a worm in sight. Will do a follow up treatment in a week to get any eggs that may have hatched and decide where to go from there.

Will post a few follow ups and things progress.

So far it looks like they are all gone. My giant mushrooms may not recover, but everything else looks good.

did you try a spotted mandarin, i had flatworms and it started getting out of hand so i got a spotted mandarin and they are gone curious if any one else has tried with this luck

i have a spotted mandarin but only goes for the copepods within the live rock. never ventures to the top of sps corals due to the high flow rate.
hey ugla, did you get it from charles inkmaker?

Back