ahhh check this out!!!! crazy bug!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daReefPeep

stingray
what is this it has a hard shell soft bottom underneath! it curled up so this is only half of it

i cant remember the name but they are reef safe... they like coralline algae very much... in return this will help your coralline algae to populate in other places.

Its called a chiton. Reef safe, I've got more than a few of them. Couldn't tell you if they have had any affect on my coralline though

Thats it... Chiton.. I used to have one... and I wish it did not die. If you dont like it I will happily take it off your hands...

haha if I find another Ill pass it along I dont know if ill ever see him again with all my lr yah it came on my lr I put him on the sand and mynassirussss snails went after him and flipped him over but I put him up on the lr just in time

We call then curbs here, but most people know them as chitons. The ones we have here in the wild get pretty big and some people actually make a salad out of them :eek: Pretty good algae grazers as well from what I understand. ALthough I've never actually had one in my tank, a friend did and swears by them :)

What I really like about them is that they are like bulldozers. You can see their tracks on the rock because they are wiped clean... as in white base rock clean. At first u will worry, because you are loosing a lot of coralline... but actually it is helping it seed to other rocks and all over your tank too.... Not only that... I have really stubborn hair algae that my snails wont even touch.... but behold... when this little chitons pass thru them... they are gone...

I have quite a few chitons in my system, most of which come out at night. Also I walked passed the Seattle Aquarium yesterday, and in their street facing coldwater tank they have a chiton that is about 10 inches long and 3 inches wide.

haha ya on my clam I thought I saw it on there a few months ago on the shell but I stuck it with my feeder stick and couldnt get it off so I just figured my eyes were messed up from sitting on this computer on reef frontiers but now I know my eyes are okay!

Back