Air (gas) under gravel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mike1441

I upgraded from 90 to 250 gallon tank with about 150 new live rock (cured) and new gravel. I rinsed the gravel and added to the tank. It seem that I am going into a cycle anyway. But I am betting air or gas bubbles in between the gravel lots. Any advise should I just let it be or should I shift the gravel around to get rid of the bubbles.

Was the gravel wet or dry when you put it in (by wet, I mean had it been underwater for at least 24 hours)? Dry gravel will contain at least three percent air by volume (for most gravel), and that air will take a while to come out.

Sounds kind of early to be a nuisance slime forming (and producing bubbles). That usually requires an accumulation of nutrients. What is in the tank besides new gravel and new live rock?

Hello;

The bubbles will go away. If you changed all the water (not a good idea) then I would say it is the organics and waste in the salt mix and some die off of the rock giving you the cycle.

Maybe, they should rinse that salt mix more!:lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Put a drop on a slide and look at it with a microscope, if the stuff is moving everything

is okay. If is is not moving, change water!"

Enjoy!

OFM

Back