Algae affected by light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taterpig

Hello

I recently had a huge outbreak of green algae--all sorts. I bought a refugium and put some chaetomorpha algae in it. I found out that my water change water and top off water had 140 tds. I bought an ro system and after several weeks the algae is nearly gone. The tds went down to 9. I want to start stocking my tank but was wondering if I subject it to normal photperiod, will the algae come? My live rock is looking good again, too. Thanks.

Keep doing your water changes you want that tds num as close as u can to 0even in your tank its gonna take a lil while, is your refuge growing well? If it is i would start with 1/2 of the hrs(time) u had the lights on before.good luck!!!

Keep doing your water changes you want that tds num as close as u can to 0even in your tank its gonna take a lil while, is your refuge growing well? If it is i would start with 1/2 of the hrs(time) u had the lights on before.good luck!!!
Hi Carlos! Are you talking about
reducing the light time in the refuge or bringing back the light to display, 1/2
time before algae outbreak? Thanks. Oh, I don't think I will be able to reduce
TDS more than 9 as we are on well water.

Hi Carlos! Are you talking about
reducing the light time in the refuge or bringing back the light to display, 1/2
time before algae outbreak? Thanks. Oh, I don't think I will be able to reduce
TDS more than 9 as we are on well water.

on the lights keep your refuge the same,I would turn of the lights on the display off for 3 days then run them half of time time you had the running b4. tell me a lil boutyou ro unit 3 or 4 stage, di? ttys

Reverse Osmosis

on the lights keep your refuge the same,I would turn of the lights on the display off for 3 days then run them half of time time you had the running b4. tell me a lil boutyou ro unit 3 or 4 stage, di? ttys
Carlos, it's a 5 stage Apec I bought on line.

i would put them on and keep fighting the source of the algae which is probably food nutrients or rock leaching. Keep pruning the chaeto and stirring up and siphoning detritus in the sand bed. What kind of algae do you have? It could be telling as to the problem.

Tater i read it seems nice but i didnt see that comes with a di filter if it doesnt you need to add it, i bet it def will go down toless than 3 or even 0.
What are the tds going in to the ro unit from the faucet?

I wouldn't get overly concerned with TDS, you are close enough, every time you feed you put in far more algae growing nutrients than in an entire tank full of 9 TDS water. Dropping it another 9 points won't clear up the algae. You have to solve the nutrient problem, and get your chaeto to dominate the hair algae.

Yea but it doesnt help he adding more bad stuff in to his aquarium, i agree using an refuge is the best way i use a 6' long refuge in my 600gal tank i have no algae prob in my display or anyther problems.

Wow that is a refuge! I think that is the long term way to get your tank clean. Reduce unnecessary nutrients, (rinse your frozen foods), remove what you can, let macro algae dominate and you will be good. Might as well get TDS down to 0, it could only help - but it wouldn't be my first priority. Still would like to know what algae.... Once this happened at another forum and it was all over green coralline! :)

If you can install a small refugium do it u will see improvemnets in a week or soo. Make sure water flow slow tru the refuge so palnt can "eat" the food (nutrients in the water)

Back