Algae Eater

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blooper74

What fish would be best for eating algae? I know lawnmower blennies are good, but they are only good as juvies. What would you all recommend as a great fish for eating hair algae?

This is just a general question, I have read many different threads about this and thought I would ask the locals.

What would work on thick patches of algae, you know, the long fuzzy crap (hair algae I think)?

I do water changes and have a good skimmer and I have never had luck with emerald crabs. They eat good just not what I want them to eat. I use RO/DI water in case anybody was about to ask. I even have a phosban reactor on the system with media changed often. I just want to know if there is a fish that would eat this stuff right up. I am in the market for a new fish anyway so why not get one that will eat the algae ;)

The algae is feeding on something. Lawn mower blennies will eat most algae, but typically ignore the fuzzy green stuff as do most tangs. Get a cleaning crew

Not to sound like I am making excusses but I do have a cleaning crew. Snails, crabs and a sea hair. I had my water tested and phosphates are not an issue, neither are nitrites or nitrates or any of the standards. The water was tested by the Environmental Sciences department at the University where I teach.

What is your lighting type and schedule?
If not a systemic issue but concentrated on just a few rocks, take them out and scrub with a stiff non-wire brush, rinse well, and put back in the tank.

They are about 10 days old, I like to replace them about once ever 6 weeks. I know I spend a lot on doing that, but water needs to be clean in my book :)
I have 2x400 10K XM's with a IceCap 48 inch VHO Retrofit Kit 4 Lamp unit, and moon lights. The VHO comes on at 8:30 am then the 400's come on at 10:00 am, the 400's go off at 8:30 pm and the VHO goes off at 10:00 pm.

Yeah I know it is bit much but our local water is very questionable and I don't want to take any chances. I am a little crazy I know.

were thinking of geting a small blennie of some sort, but i gotta reserch it some more to find out witch one is the one for us....

its a small small tank, with plenty of sand.

dont want to get a fish if we dont have to, but its so hard to make her see the light.

I cut back my lighting in the past and the corals didn't like it. I gave them a long time to adjust but they never did well until I returned to my current lighting scheme. I guess I will get a bristle tooth tang and see how it does.

I thought about one, but have always heard they are just bulldozers in the tank. I really don't want to have all my corals pushed over and around. I may look further into one.

I thought about one, but have always heard they are just bulldozers in the tank. I really don't want to have all my corals pushed over and around. I may look further into one.

They are only bulldozers if you got small frags here and there. Most of my corals are large and stable. I got the black sea urchin for about three months now and it's awesome.

Back