Algae refugium vs. Xenia refugium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

Algae refugium vs. Xenia refugium

I currently have a display style refugium setup plumbed into my reef. Its filled with toadstool calerpa, grape calerpa and chateo. (No need to bash me up about the calerpa, I know it can go sexual). Anywho, as a display tank, a 20g long cramped to the brim with green algae is pretty darn ugly. I do have some baseball sized LR in there as well. About 5 pieces, as well as a shallow sand bed. My question is this: Are their any benefits of live algae over Xenia or vise versa? Xenia would be alot cooler looking but does it suck up the nitrates as well? As well as phosphates? Also, would I loose my pod population? My nitrates used to be horrible, until I added my refugium and now there are undetectable, and I'd like to keep it that way. LOL

I've been ready "Reef Invertebrates" by Calfo and Fenner and they talk about "pruning" your algae on a regular basis. Their theory is that some of the stuff that the macro algae absorbs can reach a threshold where it can come back into your water system. Seems like a good book - you should check it out.

that sounds cool but doubt it will be as effective why dont u setup ur fuge to be more eye pleasing aquascape the plants and put a little bit more ronk in there sum differnt inverts would make it look good to
ud probley be able to grow xeina in there 2
heres an idea section the tank in half and have half fuge have xeina prop tank

i never heard of xenia sucking up any nitrates, but if they did im guessin they would be horrible. i heard xenia actually take up some ammounts p04.

I thought about doing that as well in my fuge. But i heard from a number of people that it was either unknown or not as good so i decided to steer away from it.

For it to work properly, the current nutrient level would need to be on the low side by itself. Xeniids will not do well in a nutrient soup where nitrates are a concern. If on the lower side >5 ppm, the Xennids will work but they must be harvested for it to be of any benefit to the system. Simpley having the Xennids grow/multiply is not enough. They must be physically removed (sold?) on a regular and frequent basis. You will need to be wary of allelopathy as this will significantly retard growth which is key to success here.

If high N or P are at ongoing problematic levels, Xeniids will not offer a viable solution. Stick with macro algae harvesting, preferably the Chaetomorpha. Limiting what's imported, increasing export and re evaluating animal load vs tank capacity would be more prudent.

Back