allergy maybe aquarium related

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Earthgoddess

I am having some kind of allergy to something in my house I wonder if it from the salt we purchased Oceanic rather than the instant ocean we had been using. Anyone ever hear of this?

I have both fresh and marine set ups my friend suggested that it could be from some sort of algae.

I just know we have allot of tanks in this house

I have been finding a little bit of information on daphnia allergy’s maybe that is the problem? Since I have live daphnia culture but then I also have micro worms and wingless fruit flys so I am unsure what is most likely.

Earthgoddess said:
I have both fresh and marine set ups my friend suggested that it could be from some sort of algae.
If you ever handle algae in such a fashion it becomes air born (scrubbing,tearing or the like) that could be a real possibility. I get a very nasty reaction to algae, specifically Valonia. You'd think I was poisoned by the way I looked afterwards. :eek:

Cheers
Steve

I belive it is probably due to handeling algae gets on/under your fingertips /fingernails/open cuts/scratches.

Try like I do wear the cheap surgical disposable gloves with a rubberband around your wrists :)

Most of the cuts/scratches are on fingers and this eliminates allot of unconfortablness.

No ones perfect and follows through all the time so I try to keep it reasonable and this takes only seconds :)

I hope you feel better soon earthgoddess...That sucks! I had my share in the past with rubbing up against fire coral around a reef here that got into my blood stream and screwed me over as well as swimming through a swarm of baby portuguese man-o-war! It ain't fun. Get well soon:)

ewee thats just disgusting......but it tasted good...lol

I have a minor allergy to something in my tank as well... after my arms have been in it (like for cleaning, etc.) my nose starts getting itchy and I get the sniffles... it affects my wife too.

Still haven't figured out what it might be...

spongebob lover said:
LOL !!! :lol:

LMBO!!! yeah they taste quite good.... hmm never mind, but i'll ask my son if they are a good snack:lol:
lol............

hi just going to jump in here ,yep I get the same thing too if I clean the sides and move rock around after not messing around in the tank for awhile I get a runny nose

YUCK!!!!!
:eek2: :cry: :badgrin: :D

OH Gaby i will post some pics soon. I still fear for you with MH just sitting on your tank (even with the tooth brushes!)

Last edited:
Back