Almost ready to cry

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hypersaline

I've been have problems with livestock dying, and I'm not sure what the heck is going on. I had the tank set up as a 29gal for several years with various fish, inverts, leathers and zoos. In January, I moved cross country and lost all of my corals, but I set up a "new" 72 using 100 pounds of cured live rock. After 2 months of cycling, I had my fish and shrimp flown here and they've been good up until recently.

The fish/inverts: a 5 inch gs maroon clown, a yellow watchman goby, a 5 in yellow tang, 3 yellow tail damsels, a flame angel (now dead), a fire shrimp, tiger pistol shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp (dead), tuxedo urchin, snails and hermits. Corals: yellow polyps (dead), some button polyps that actually survived the move, and frogspawn. I also have chaeto in the sump.

The most recent chain of events happened when my clown started hosting the yellow polyps thereby killing them. I got a bubble tip anemone which the clown loved, but the next morning the flame angel was belly up with lesions on its face. 5 days later, anemone dead. I have a strong feeling that the clown is being too aggressive with hosting, but I haven't observed much aggressive behavior from the clown towards the other fish. (If anything, he just attacks his own reflection!)

Any ideas? I would like to add things to the tank and bring it back to the glory days, but this is making me sick to my stomach.

BTW: I change 10% 1 x week, <20ppm NO3, 0 NO2, 0 NH4, pH 8.3, KH 240, GH 180, T5 lighting 12h, bakpak skimmer, couple coralias

You should move this to Lee Birch's forum. He is great with these things. Sorry about your losses!

Back