Alternatives to anemons for clown

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
Any suggestions?

I have two false percula clowns and the need a home but i dont want to do anemones yet. They are in a 29 gal tank and i would like something that could stay in there.

I dont plan on getting anything for probly 2-3 months but i want to start researching now.

I have heard of frogspawn, hammer coral, grassy mushroom. Info on these would be nice too.

Large mushrooms are good, Leather corals are fairly easy such as Finger leather, devils hand, long tenticle toadstool etc. Mine nest in a torch coral but they are a little more advanced.

I want a yellow toadstool! Wow those are pretty. Any one have experience with them?

I will probly only be getting one coral just for the clowns i dont want to crowed my tank.

How big do they get?

Also i dont know much about corals so i want something thats going to be easy to keep and in three months my tank will be a little over 4 months old, is that old enough to keep corals?

Is there anything else i should get prepared befor getting them besides good lighting?

I like the torch too but are they really hard to keep?

Also i dont know much about corals so i want something thats going to be easy to keep and in three months my tank will be a little over 4 months old, is that old enough to keep corals?

Is there anything else i should get prepared befor getting them besides good lighting?

I like the torch too but are they really hard to keep?

If all your water parameters are in check 'Go For It' you can do it:D My yellow toadstool has doubled in size from a year ago, I will need to frag soon:cool: my torch seems to like medium flow with low light,,

If all your water parameters are in check 'Go For It' you can do it:D My yellow toadstool has doubled in size from a year ago, I will need to frag soon:cool: my torch seems to like medium flow with low light,,

Well my tank is only a little over a month old. I dont think i have completly gotten the hang of it yet.

Should i start a new thread asking how to take care of leather toadstools? And hammer corals? I think those are what i am going to get.

I really have no clue how to take care of them. lol

Well my tank is only a little over a month old. I dont think i have completly gotten the hang of it yet.

Should i start a new thread asking how to take care of leather toadstools? And hammer corals? I think those are what i am going to get.

I really have no clue how to take care of them. lol
I will say this then,,Read and study! I never touched salt for 8 months until I was ready ,,To much money to waste and didnt want to harm any animals.;)

Just be aware that whatever coral you get, the clown may or may not decide to make it "home". It's hit and miss. I've had an O.Clown in my tank from day 1 and it couldn't have cared less about my torch, or bubble, or mushrooms, or anthelia... It actually killed my bubble by constantly flicking sand up into it with its tail. Little bugger.

Clowns don't "need" an anemone, but it is a neat thing to watch. And as returnofsid mentioned, if it does take a liking to your coral, it may just love it to death!

Back