aluminum foil

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

125g

i have aluminum foil around a clip on light from lowes hanging over a tank of mine as like an extra reflector (to be honest made a huge difference) will water evaporating on it and dripping back into the tank harm anything?

I would not suggest this because of the possible long term issues. This is probably a good reason to find you a good used reflector or a replacement that will work better.

JMO :D

i am going to make a legit reflector just was throwing ideas around and wondering if for the couploe days i had this if it wsa going to kill me fish

I made the same thing for my T-5's until I can find a LFS that can order in reflectors for me. I've been set up like that for a couple of weeks now. All my SPS are extending well and I don't think enough water drips off the foil to "poison" your tank.

Just my 2 cents.

: In recent years, there has been speculation that aluminum oxide based phosphate removers like PhosGuard™ release aluminum into the water and subsequently damage corals. The evidence to support this claim was largely anecdotal.

So, through a series of controlled experiments in both freshwater and saltwater, we intended to address both the question of aluminum solubility and aluminum toxicity. The results of these experiments show that under reef conditions (pH near 8) there is no detectable soluble aluminum released from alumina. Under conditions of low pH and high dosage levels, soluble aluminum can be released from alumina; at three times the label dosage rate, we detected 0.2 mg/L aluminum at a pH of 5.3.

Additionally, aluminum oxide is not easily absorbed into the cell to cause negative reactions. Even at three times the dose of PhosGuard™, soft-bodied corals such as Sarcophyton remain unaffected

which i got off of this site below:

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/PhosGuard.html

But many flatly do not buy into that. They are just trying to counter act this article and on-line debates with SeaChem by me and mostly Randy Holmes Farley. Many reefers have had issues with PhosGuard with Sarcophyton's. In short, if you have no issue with corals go ahead and use it. The real issue is why when GFO's are much better and with less issues.

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm

I see no reason why you cannot use foil or that product patch for reflecting. It will not reflect as well as a polished german aluminum one will but I doubt there could be an issue with water quality either, being it is up and far from the water source.

I do however agree with boomer that aluminum based products in the water will cause issues in the long run. Better to run a good GAC~

water evaporating on it and dripping back into the tank harm anything?

This is the part I wouldn't think is long term good idea, If this wasn't the case then I have to agree with everyone else, it should work fine, just not as good as a polished reflector.

From what I read about this, the aluminum doesn't solubolize until the pH is way lower than tank condirions (pH 4 or something, but I'm guessing)

So, it should not be an issue, but would use it only as a short term solution.

The lids to my tank are framed with aluminum screen kits, and I've seen a lot of people doing that without issues.

It really has not much to do with solubolizing but oxidation and corrosion of the Al for seawater which is dependent on its alloys and how it is treated. A jist of it here

"Anything ferrous exposed to saltwater or salt atmosphere will
deteriorate very quickly. Saltwater will also have a deleterious
effect on non-ferrous metals like aluminum. They are subject to
corrosion and eventually become brittle. Aluminum cans thrown into
saltwater will completely dissolve in a very short time. Zinc-coated
(galvanized) surfaces will eventually yield to corrosive elements if
not properly maintained. "

There are annuals of documents on the corrosion of Al in seawater. Just think Al boats

aluminum boats and salt water
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=502868

If you can keep it free from spray water and collecting water form humidity it should fine. Meaning, take care of it. Again many Al are fine but others are not, it is the Alloy of Al it is.

I've seen many aluminum boats with no issues in salt water for years but I have aluminum parts on my boat the the salt eats it up like nothing. So what Boomer is saying I've seen it for sure.

Would a mylar radiant heat barrier over the top of a tank at night leach aluminum into the tank? Condensate dripping back into the tank could be a problem???

Back