Am I going to need extra flow?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
Do you think I'm going to need some powerheads for some extra flow in my setup? I'm running 1" bulkhead drain (600 gph) with an Eheim 1260 external pump 3/4" return which I'm going to split into two 1/2" returns.

background.jpg

How big is the tank and what do you plan on keeping? Softies and lps prefer lower flow(like 10-20x turnover an hour) but SPS prefer much much higher flow(40-100x+ turnover an hour).

How big is the tank and what do you plan on keeping? Softies and lps prefer lower flow(like 10-20x turnover an hour) but SPS prefer much much higher flow(40-100x+ turnover an hour).

It's a 60 gallon tank and I plan to start with lps and then go to sps.

I think you would need more flow. I've noticed my tank has dramatically improved once I went from my 400 gph return + 2 MJ1200's (about 1000 gph) to 400 gph return + 2 Seio 820's (about 2000 gph turnover). My tank is a 65 BTW.

Last edited:
I would defintly add some more flow. Are you opposed to powerheads? Seio 820's would work pretty well for adding some random flow to the tank. If your leaning towards SPS I personally would do two seio 1100's. If your leaning towards more of the fleshy LPS, Id stick with the 820's. The other advantage to the 1100's is that you can put them on seio's new wave controller for even more randomness for your flow.

I would go with two Tunze & a controller myself, or maybe the Eco-tech! I don't like the little PH's for flow when your keeping SPS. The PH's are good for top offs, small tanks & a variety other things but when you want corals there you need to keep them cleaned of stagnate waters!

I would defintly add some more flow. Are you opposed to powerheads? Seio 820's would work pretty well for adding some random flow to the tank. If your leaning towards SPS I personally would do two seio 1100's. If your leaning towards more of the fleshy LPS, Id stick with the 820's. The other advantage to the 1100's is that you can put them on seio's new wave controller for even more randomness for your flow.

I'm not opposed to powerheads at all, I just didn't want put more equipment inside the tank with such a big center overflow, also having blue background powerheads would really stand out but I will check out those Seio, thanks for the suggestions!

I would go with two Tunze & a controller myself, or maybe the Eco-tech! I don't like the little PH's for flow when your keeping SPS. The PH's are good for top offs, small tanks & a variety other things but when you want corals there you need to keep them cleaned of stagnate waters!

I really like those Tunze but they are kind of expensive so I guess I'm going to have to look into something more affordable for now, I'm getting a controller though.

I really like those Tunze but they are kind of expensive so I guess I'm going to have to look into something more affordable for now, I'm getting a controller though.

I dont think there is a controller for the seios yet.

Don

Any other good powerhead that is relatively small in size at an affordable price that I can hook up to my Reefkeeper 2?

Last edited:
While we are talking about flow and Seios...... I finally started setting up my tank last night. 72 Bowfront with a Remora Pro/Rio1400 and 2 Seio 620's. When I plugged them in I was somewhat dissapointed in thier output, is there a way to adjust them or was i just expecting to much?? I did remove the housing that comes on them as well. Also having some trouble getting all the salt to dissolve, still had undissolved salt this morning??

Back