Amiracle wet/dry question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

Hey all - I've been shopping around for equipment locally and found a guy that was selling a tank that he had set-up for FW and was "throwing-in" what he called a "protein skimmer with the little blue balls and stuff" which sounded strange to me and worth a look. Long story short...it's actually an Amiracle wet/dry but looks possibly modified. Reason I say that is b/c @ the end opposite the bio-balls, in the same chamber as the lower bulkhead...there is a 3 tube contraption that fits on like a lid. (tubes are vertical and do look like skimmer tubes) I'll attach pics later today if there is any interest or experience in helping me identify this thing.

thanks

I'll attach pics later today if there is any interest

Throw em' up. I don't think I can help but I'm curious.

Welcome to RF! :)

A Browns fan? My brother is a huge browns fan, he went to the Denver game last week. I'm still not sure why he picked such a difficult opponent. :(

It almost wants to look like it used 2 seperate drains/inputs. One to trickle water over the bio-balls and one for draining water over the filter pads. In my opinion though, I wouldn't personally suggest using anything like that(wet/dry application) for a reef tank because they are basically nitrate factories and if I were to use that sump setup, I'd remove the bio-balls all together and turn it into a refugium or something else and get away from the "wet/dry" aspect of it. Just my 2 cents worth:)

Thats quite a contraption. Looks like something Dr. Emmit Brown has been working on. :lol:

I agree with krish about the bio-balls.

Yeah, that WD has been added on to. It's usefullness in a reef tank is very limited. If you want to cycle a new tank the old school way, then I would keep the bio-balls for 3-4 months ( or until your nitrate test kit turns ultra red is half a second :lol: ) The side set looks like it used to be an add on tower for mechanical filter pads and bags of carbon, ect.. sitting beside the wet/dry and splitting the flow reduces the all ready limited function of the tower. I would cut it loose and patch the holes. Better yet, sell the WD (or give it) to a fish only set-up and get another sump all together.

Back