An acrylic 30G cube in the making...any suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chinkie253

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to start my acrylic 30G cube. I have very little experience with the saltwater world, but I did a lot of researching. So here is my setup going to be like.

-20Wx20Lx18H 1/2" thick acrylic w/ a center overflow.
View attachment 24284
-A used 280W Orbit light (MH, PC, 4 lunar lights)...really big in size.
But I'm thinking about selling it and get the 24" Solaris I4 or the older version of it.
-AquaC Remora pro with a Mag 3 or Eheim or something that will fit into the overflow box (somehow). The reason why I got the HO, well first I got a really good deal for it. Second my cabinet doesn't has alot of room. and I wanted to save some space for a calcium reactor. I saw a package deal on marinedepot...Korallin Calcium Reactor 1502 Package 2 for $600 or a used one.
I'm also thinking about getting the Euro-Reef rs80 or the tunze nano skimmer, hopefully new from ebay or fellows reeffrontiers.
I don't have a sump yet. I was looking through some of the custom sumps on Lifereef.com, and I have contact the guy, but his sump is a bit expensive, ~$500 for a 18x13x15, that's way too much. I really like his setup though. so if someone can custom make the sump...please let me know. or I can make one with the reg. 10G.
I have a question for anyone, do you thinking a UV sterilization is a good thing? If I do decide to go with the UV light, I'll get the Coralife turbo 9V.
Well, next would be some tunze nano pumps, the 6055 model w/ a multi controller. I want to get two of the pumps and place them under the return holes for some water current. well maybe just one pump b/c I have read that pump is quite powerful.
Last would be the monitors, hanna monitors, AC jr, reef keeper II or something similar to that. Anyone have a good monitors system that would want to recommend or sell?

That's about it, I know that's alot of stuffs to read through...sorry...I would like to get this one right and also share my experiences as I continue to finishing up the tank. I'll post some more pictures as I go...Please feel free to give me any suggestions or comments....thanks.

AN

Last edited:
Ditch the AquaC Remora pro idea, you have an overflow, use it. get yourself a simple sump and get the Euro-Reef rs80. The Tunze nano skimmer is great if you have an aquapod or one of the other all-in-ones, but you will have a sump. How big is the stand? Look around on all of the sites people are selling skimmers and sumps all the time. Take a look through my thread about my cube that I just set up, should be good for some ideas. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29363

bigger sump(refugium)

Unless space issues is the reason for the size,try to put in a spot that will allow a sump of 30 gallons or more to be hidden underneath.I've done a 24 gallon cube this way. It will be a sort of illusion,because you will be able to have a unbelievable amount of live stock vs.size of aquarium.Approaite size of livestock will still need to be followed,but amount can be cheated.With something like a 55 gallon refugium undernieth you will eventually have a full blown ecosystem that will support it self intirely.With an auto top off for evaporation,hooked to a pure sorce of water,you can pass it down to your grandchildren and then-some.

That will be a nice tank build you have there it looks great so far. Just get equipment that is over rated for that tank, because in our hobby you will want a bigger tank in like 6mnths or less just ask Disturbedreefer:D

That will be a nice tank build you have there it looks great so far. Just get equipment that is over rated for that tank, because in our hobby you will want a bigger tank in like 6mnths or less just ask Disturbedreefer:D

:lol: Actually, I have been all over the map...55 hex, to a 135 cube, then an Aquapod 24, now the 30 Oceanic Cube, next 60 rimless starfire cube (if all goes well) :D
Yes I do like planning and setting tanks up...and get bored easily:p
Roscoe is right though, make sure you get over rated equipment...better in the long run.

Back