Anemone Crab

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
I have an anemone crab who was living in my LTA along with a true preculla clown. Other tank mates are a bangii cardinal, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and some frog spawn, xenia, and a brain coral. Today my anemone was found in several pieces scattered throughout my tank. He appeared healthy yesterday and all my chemical levels, salinity and temp check out fine. Any idea of what could have caused his death?

the anemone or the anemone crab? if its the anemone crag it most likely molted so it should still be alive only hiding out. As for the anemone, it could have went through a powerhead.

the anemone or the anemone crab? if its the anemone crag it most likely molted so it should still be alive only hiding out. As for the anemone, it could have went through a powerhead.

It the crab that i think is a gonner. Do they really molt?

Yes, they molt just like shrimp. That's how they get bigger (exo-skeleton). Check to see if the pieces are only shells, if so, then it's still in your tank, alive.

i don't know if it's related to a change in water chemistry or exactly why but it seems like quite often when i add a new shrimp or crab they will molt shortly after. my emerald crab more than doubled in size the last time he molted and my cleaner shrimp has molted 4 times i know of in the last 1-1/2 years.

Yup, until yesterday I had 2 both molt. The first was a 1/2 crab, was missing a few legs and 1 claw but I got him 1/2 priced, so it's cool. He molted the first time shortly after being added, grew some stumpy legs back. Then molted about every 1.5-2 months. Unfortunately, this last one was tough and he lost both claws, 1 and 1/2 of his fishing nets and 3 legs and only lived about a week after it. The second molted right after adding "her", so I'm kinda surprised yours didn't when you added it to your tank. Usually for a day or two after they hide out since they're easy targets. But molting lets them grow and regain lost limbs. Don't fret too badly if they loose 1 or 2 limbs, they'll get them back after 2-3 molts.

My CB shrimp has molted twice in as many months he lost both claw legs when I moved him to the fuge and got new ones when he molted! and my cleaner molts every month like clock work!
Now I got a tiny baby cleaner shrimp (thanks to Indoor reef) and he molted the day after I put him in the tank!!

Back