Anemone ID / Clown Hosting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Eric

A few weeks ago I traded away a big green carpet anemone for a small RBTA. My hope was that my maroon clownfish (whom I learned was not compatible with the carpet) would make a home in the rose.

So far, the clown has not moved in. At first I thought something was wrong with fish, but I now I have a new theory: what if my RBTA isn't actually an RBTA? (I feel like House).

The anemone looked a little discolored and out of it for a few days, but I just thought that was the stress of the move. A few weeks later, it still doesn't have much color or look like other RBTAs that I see online.

Any chance this guy is a condy anemone? It has a pink stalk but the tentacles are not red. The tips of the tentacles are purple. More importantly, if this isn't an RBTA, did I get hosed?

Sorry about lousy pics.

Darn! I was worried about that. Anyone have any guesses as to what this is?

I dont know for sure but I wouldnt say its an RBTA. it has purple tips(what it looks like and white tentacles. sebae?

Eric,
This is not a Rose Bubble Tip Anenome. But it may very well be a BTA.
Its very difficult to tell with the pictures you provided. Is there anyway you can take more detailed pictures?

Nick

Well now I am really disappointed. I traded away an 8-12" green carpet anemone that was beautiful and got something that I really didn't want.

Even more disappointing is the fact that I traded with someone on Reef Frontiers. When I made the trade, the anemone was in a bag and folded in on itself. I have always trusted the people that I have dealt with on this site, so I took the person's word that it was an RBTA.

Did I get a raw deal? Is there anything I can do?

p.s. I'll try to post some better pictures.

I also agree that this sure doesn't look like an RBTA. I don't know if I'd say you got a raw deal or not. You may very well have. It could also be that the person you traded with didn't know what kind of anemone they had. Have you attempted to contact this member? That'd be my suggestion. Hope you're able to get a positive ID and everything works out well for you. Good luck!!

Guys,
the color of the anemone or of its tentacles is not the way to ID an anemone species. I have seen BTA's with pink and purple tips. I've seen H.crispa anemones with green, blue, purple and pink tips. I've seen photo's of an amazing H.crispa that had a neon pink disc, and neon green tentacles. The anemone was not dyed, nor was it photoshopped. Color is not specific to certain species, with the exception of M.doreensis anemones having a red base like the one pictured...

To be able to fully ID the anemone, we will need to see better, more detailed pictures of:

The mouth/oral disc and tentacles
The column/base of the anemone
The underside of the anemone's oral disc looking for the presence or absence of small bumps known as verrucae.

Images of these and photo showing the anemones location in the tank, (did the anemone bury its foot in the rock, is it sitting out on the rock not buried, or did the anemone bury its foot in the substrate), will help ID the anemone.

Based on the above photo's all that can be determined is:

That is not a Rose BTA, (The tentacles and oral disc are not primarily orange or red).

The anemone has its foot buried in the rock work.

I'm guessing that the anemone is most likely either a BTA or a Condylactis anemone, but that is not definite as the anemone could have its foot buried in the sand bed, under the rock....

Nick

Dustin,
Just because you have an anemone that resembles the one Eric posted pictures of, doesnt mean they are the same species of anemone.

I'm not trying to be rude, just trying prove a point.

Justin try to ID the following anemone's based on the pictures. I pulled these images off the web, and didnt take any of them.

Before anyone else posts up ID's on these anemones, please let Dustin try first. For the record, I would have missed several of these myself...

Image 1

Blue_LTA2-1_02-26-2007.jpg

Image 2

A66.jpg

Image 3

48933Anemone2.jpg

Image 4

anemone5.jpg

Image 5
CIMG5224.jpg

Image 6

100_1811.jpg

Image 7

AnemoneClownsAvatar-1.jpg

Image 8

crsipaandxenia31607003.jpg

Image 9

IMG_0934.jpg

Image 10

IMG_09371.jpg

Image 11

DSC00112.jpg

Image 12

IMG_1595screen.jpg

Nick

Last one

Image 13

mytank003.jpg

I'll post up answers after Dustin gives it a shot.

I want to reiterate, I'm not trying to call anyone out, just show that anemones come in all different colors, and basing an ID on photo's without showing all necessary information, (IE Oral disc, underside of disc, and base) really doesnt allow you to make a valid ID.

Nick

Hey Dustin, no hard feelings here... hope you didnt take it like a slam. The purpose of this board is to learn....
You just helped me show several people something at once....

Its all good

;)

Lets see if anyone else can ID these based on the pics....

Nick

Dustin, try using latin/scientific names when IDing....cuts down on confusion.

For example there are two different anemones commonly called Long Tentacled Anemones.

One is M.doreensis, the other is H.crispa.

Nick

1...?
2...?
3...?
4...?
5...?
6...?
7... Bubble Tip Anemone, E.quadricolor
8...?
9...?
10.?
11...Leathery/Long Tentacle Anemone, H.crispa