anemone id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taxqueen

Can anyone tell me what kind of anemone this is, my husband surprised me with it and I want to research it so I can properly take care of it. I don't think it is a hosting one, the lfs had told my husband to feed it liquid food( I think it's wrong)but from what I have read on anemones is they like to eat stuff like shrimp and that the liquid stuff might kill them. If I knew what it was I could do specific research before I harm it.

This is a Condylactis Anemone, a great biginner anomone, as the requirements for this type of anomone are not as "demanding" as some others. As with any anomone, it is a good idea to ensure that this animal is only introduced to an established aquarium (I say a year.. but there are a lot of varied opinions on what "established" really means)

This is a photosynthetic animal but it also needs to eat frozen or fresh fish food preparations. At a minimum, I would recommend at least power compacts with 50/50 bulbs (full spectrum/actinic) along with supplemental feedings every other day, or twice a week. Fresh seafood from the local market such as shrimp and clams work well. Cut the fresh, uncooked seafood into very small pieces and use tank tongs or a turkey baster to deliver the food to the anemone's mouth.

You should be warned that they can move around the tank, albeit slowly. This means that you will need to use foam filters over any power head intakes. Many hobbyists have lost anemones because of an unprotected power filter intake! You will probably not want to keep them in a reef tank with corals because they have a sting that can harm corals, fish and other anemones.

The anemone is not a "natural" host for the clown fishes. However, some people have reported success with keeping clown fishes with their Condylactis Anemone, whereas others have reported the demise of either the clownfish or the anemone after the introduction.

This can be an interesting anemone to keep and it can be a good one to start with, provided that you can meet some of this animal's demands detailed above.

Some folks think that the key to success for this animal is performing frequent partial water changes (10 - 20% every 2 weeks), supplementing with iodine, having the right light intensity over the tank (at minimum - Power compacts in short tanks and HO, VHO or Metal Halides in tanks deeper than the standard 24 inches) and supplemental feedings with a variety of fresh marine foods.

Hope this helps.

Jaybo

Last edited:
holy cow, that really helps alot. Thank -you soooooooooooooooo much. I've been looking for a pic of it but there are so many types I could not find one that looked like it. At least now I know what I'm dealing with.mmmmmmmmmmm you mentioned they could be harmful to fish sometimes, I wonder if it isn't the brittle star that killed my wrasse but maybe the anemone..........damn this thing is so much harder than I thought. Looks like I have some more research to do :p

Previously posted by Jaybo

This is a Condylactis Anemone, a great biginner anomone, as the requirements for this type of anomone are not as "demanding" as some others. As with any anomone, it is a good idea to ensure that this animal is only introduced to an established aquarium (I say a year.. but there are a lot of varied opinions on what "established" really means)

This is a photosynthetic animal but it also needs to eat frozen or fresh fish food preparations. At a minimum, I would recommend at least power compacts with 50/50 bulbs (full spectrum/actinic) along with supplemental feedings every other day, or twice a week. Fresh seafood from the local market such as shrimp and clams work well. Cut the fresh, uncooked seafood into very small pieces and use tank tongs or a turkey baster to deliver the food to the anemone's mouth.

You should be warned that they can move around the tank, albeit slowly. This means that you will need to use foam filters over any power head intakes. Many hobbyists have lost anemones because of an unprotected power filter intake! You will probably not want to keep them in a reef tank with corals because they have a sting that can harm corals, fish and other anemones.

The anemone is not a "natural" host for the clown fishes. However, some people have reported success with keeping clown fishes with their Condylactis Anemone, whereas others have reported the demise of either the clownfish or the anemone after the introduction.

This can be an interesting anemone to keep and it can be a good one to start with, provided that you can meet some of this animal's demands detailed above.

Some folks think that the key to success for this animal is performing frequent partial water changes (10 - 20% every 2 weeks), supplementing with iodine, having the right light intensity over the tank (at minimum - Power compacts in short tanks and HO, VHO or Metal Halides in tanks deeper than the standard 24 inches) and supplemental feedings with a variety of fresh marine foods.

Hope this helps.

Jaybo

Another great link! :)
http://www.fishlore.com/profile-condyanemone.htm

Wow, I'm glad someone else ID'ed this before me. That thing looks like a huge aiptasia to me!! It would be really WRONG if somebody at the LFS sold an aiptasia to your hubby!

I would have to disagree and judging by the tentacles alone, I'd say that looks more like a tube anemone. If you could get a picture of the mouth, we would get the correct i.d.

Back