Anemone in the mail.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zerc

So yesterday I got a 2nd anemone for my tank. After it arrived in the mail and I acclimated it, I put it in my tank on top of a piece of rock with all my power turned off (except light). It extended its bulbs a little and they were not deflated, and there was good color. After half an hour or so I turned the return pump back on. The resulting current caused the anemone to roll off the rock and down a hole under a piece of base rock. I can no longer see it and it has not come out this morning... How long should I give it before i have to tear down that side of the tank and remove it?

(the base rock has a several pieces of rock on it)

I only ask because my only in other experience with an anemone it was attached to a rock and opened within half an hour, and my maroon clown had adopted it. This same anemone is in the tank also and is always open (and still with the same clown). Both anemone are bubble tips.

Last edited:
If in good health it will find its way to the light, they're quite capable once acclimated. Just give it a few days, unless you see dead tissue floating about. Which species of Anemone did you get.

Cheers, Todd

This one is a green BTA with purple tips, it was really nice looking for the 5 minutes or so it was balanced on top of the rock. My other one is an RBTA, but it has never had the "bubble" tips.

gah! So it finally came out yesterday afternoon, looking great. Unfortunately it is opened up between two pieces of rock and is only visible from the back side of the tank.... sigh.

these things sure know how to please the viewer :lol:

I had on get stuck in a powerhead, and two pieces actually survived. one has so far really enjoyed the glass...I haven't had the heart to take a spoon and move the little guy yet.

I would move this one if I could, but I would have to remove almost half of the rock in my tank! (it is attached to the bottom side of a 20 lb piece with 4 other rocks either leaning against it or on top of it)

:frusty:

If you dont mind doing it, my rbta did the same thing quiet awhile ago. I didnt want to take my rockwork apart either, loys of rock, so i turned off the lights and the powerheads on that side of the tank for a couple days. He found his way out so i turned eveything back on and hes been visible ever since. Corals will be fine if you have any. Worked for me, maybe for you to.

Back