Anemone Woes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Inconservatory

I'm currently QTing a friend's long tentacle anemone, but it's looking to be in a bad shape. Its innards are now "outtards" and the tentacles are shriveled up. With clean water, fair lighting, and filter foods, does this little guy have a chance, or is it best to let this one go? Does anyone here have any anemone success stories?

I'm currently QTing a friend's long tentacle anemone, but it's looking to be in a bad shape. Its innards are now "outtards" and the tentacles are shriveled up. With clean water, fair lighting, and filter foods, does this little guy have a chance, or is it best to let this one go? Does anyone here have any anemone success stories?

Hey! It was more than likely taking a poop! Freaked me out the first time I saw it too. Then I searched the forum and found out that it's mouth is also it's ass. Big anemones look really small when this happens. It should be cool less the stress of being moved into another tank.

I hope this is all that happened!

Hey! It was more than likely taking a poop! Freaked me out the first time I saw it too. Then I searched the forum and found out that it's mouth is also it's ass. Big anemones look really small when this happens. It should be cool less the stress of being moved into another tank.

I hope this is all that happened!
+1 On taking a poop. Did it look ok before you placed it in the QT tank? if so and all is good in the QT tank, it should be alright.

+1 on pooping. I had curly que anemones do that before. I also have one that has dropped his head twice, and regrew tentacles. First time I saw it with no head, I thought it got eaten. The remaining head floats around until it finds a spot and regrows.

I dunno about it pooping. All my anemones poo brown slimy stuff. I have had a anemone spit it's "guts" out and it looks a whole lot different than poo. Most everytime that has happened it's because of a swing in alkalinity. Sometimes I don't mix powdered buffer good enough and it get's too concentrated and it hurts inverts. I don't do it this way anymore but that could be an issue if this is happening.

Yeah guts coming out is whole lot different situation then poo'ing. If the guts are coming out it is safe to assume that it is done for. An dying anemone can cause some pretty nasty pollution for the tank. I would take it out.

Oh, it's definitely guts and gore. The sight is about as Lovecraftian as it gets, being turned inside-out with tentacles coming out of the top and bottom of the body. So, there's no hope for this little guy?

Back