Angel Fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wow, 10 years? That's fantastic to keep any fish for that long in an aquarium. What's your secret ? :)

Well I got him from a woman here in town about 3 years ago. When I got him she said she had him for 7 years. Not sure what her secret was, and to be honest I got him when I very first started the hobby. So I am surprised he is still around. Lots of screw ups in the beginning to include 4 months of daily over feeding, accidental use of soapy cloth on inside of tank and multiple LR adjusting. But alas he is still here. My Blue tang is going on 2 years now. I am having quite the HLLE issue with the two. Can’t quite figure out how to fix this. Might be the size of the tank being too small (92gal corner). The Angel is about 7" and the tang is about 5" now. Along with them in the tank is a 3" Maroon clown (8 months), Purple/Yellow RG (3 years), Mandarin (2 years), and a Purple lobster. The last time I lost a fish was 7 months ago when a false perc jumped out of the tank to his doom.

Yeah, you are probaly overstocked . I don't know anyone that would recommend fish of the size you have in a display that size. This is more than likely the root of your tang troubles. You might do the angel and the tangs a favor by re-homing them to a larger tank. Not trying to bum you out, just trying to help you provide the best care for your livestock.
I have one of those lobsters as well. Really love the colors on him. keep and him fed and happy and he shoudl stay away from your Mandarin. Mine tool a chunk out of my gramma once because he was always trying to steal food from the lobster.

Last edited:
You might do the angel and the tangs a favor by re-homing them to a larger tank. Not trying to bum you out, just trying to help you provide the best care for your livestock.

Deffinently agree. Unfortunatly large angels will need about a 400gal system at that size and the tang should have atleast a 125 or so. Fish swim alot in the ocean and need to do so in an aquarium to keep healthy.
As for life expectancy: Most larger angels (above 6") will live about 15-20yrs according to Scott Michael's book.

-augustus

Yeah, you are probaly overstocked . I don't know anyone that would recommend fish of the size you have in a display that size. This is more than likely the root of your tang troubles. You might do the angel and the tangs a favor by re-homing them to a larger tank. Not trying to bum you out, just trying to help you provide the best care for your livestock.
I have one of those lobsters as well. Really love the colors on him. keep and him fed and happy and he shoudl stay away from your Mandarin. Mine tool a chunk out of my gramma once because he was always trying to steal food from the lobster.

Well I am in the market for a 120 -135. But all I can find are people selling entire Reef setups. An angel of this size in a reef would be....devastating. I cannot afford a new tank so I am just looking here or there. Kind of keeping my eyes open. Maybe I am being a little too picky. I Rarely ever see the Lobster. Once or twice a month I'll see him just to assure me he is still alive. He hasn't gotten the manderin yet. But something recently ate about 50 Mexican turbo snails. Might have been him.

There is a 180 for sale right now in the equipment for sale forum for 500. You should check it out.

There is a 180 for sale right now in the equipment for sale forum for 500. You should check it out.

Yah I saw that. But Tank and Stand would be $700. Light would be $400 if I got the one on here. Thats 1100 bucks. Wife would fillet me if i were to spend that on an aquarium.

I going to say around 20 years.

I have a tank raised Maculosis angel that is over 10 years old , he was in a 110 that was 6 foot long for most of his life, now in a 180 .

I feel its going to live at least another 10 years plus.

ARSA

I put a cap full of Zoe twice a week. Water changes are 1/3 every 30 days.

I would recommend upping the water changes, more volume, more quantity.

Also are you feeding lots of algae? The tang is almost a complete herbivore and the angel while an omnivore needs lots of algae. HLLE is typically a nutritional or water quality issue. You state you are using Zoe but how are you using it, dumping it in the tank will only slightly benefit the fish, a better choice is to soak the food in it so they are ingesting it directly.

I have an asfur and a naso both around 6" and they eat an entire 8" x 8" sheet of algae each day-split into 2-3 meals a day.

I am a firm believer in not controlling water quality by underfeeding-feed the fish what they need and change more water, buy a better skimmer or whatever it takes to keep the water quality good.

Back