Another Hello from Washington State..this one from the Columbia Basin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltwater-girl

Hello All:

Washington State-r here. I don't live on the "ocean" side of the state but have inherited, through a craigslist purchase where the owner had a freshwater and saltwater tank for sale and would not seperate the two of them, a 75G saltwater FOWLR tank.

The tank came with a breeding pair of Clarkii Clownfish, a firefish, and an unknown light pink colored fish (we since have possibly identified it as an older Green Chromis fish). The tank also came with three pieces of cured live rock. The owner was nice enough to deliver the tank and help us set it up (acrylic Seaclear tank with built in trickle and wet/dry pump/sump). Every moment since that time has been a total learning experience for my husband and I.

We found this forum through various internet searches and we are hopeful that many of our questions will be answered as well as learning new and wonderful things about this new venture in our fishkeeping hobby (we have a few freshwater tanks...cichlids and tropicals). We are excited to explore saltwater fish and reef care and are simply in awe of the beauty that an established, well cared for saltwater tank imparts.

Looking forward to learning and meeting a few people along the way. :cheer2:

Very glad you found Reef Frontiers. Welcome. You will have no problems getting any questions you might have answered here. With a quick search of the forums, you can learn a lot. I pretty much learned everything I know from this forum. And yet I seem to be succeeding, hmmmm...Anyway again, welcome and looking forward to seeing pics when you can post them.

Another BIG WELCOME from the West slope to Reef Frontiers and the Salty side of the hobby. Looking forward to seeing your sytem evolve.

Cheers, Todd

This is a pic of my tank about 2 weeks ago...its changed a little as I've now added some additional live rock and powerheads (artificial plant has come out much to the chagrin of the clownfish...it was there favorite place to hide and spawn). Anyway...just the beginnings of tank but working on it

new75gsalt062212.jpg

Hey, its a great start. 75 is a great size tank. You will have fun with it.

Thanks IPisces... Just learning and having fun at the moment. We have a long way to go but I know we will get the basics down and then build on those .. looking forward to a long term relationship with this tank .. haha !!!

saltwater-girl,

Since you like you research, I would recommend (as I do to all newbies to the hobby) purchasing the following book:

Amazon.com: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists (Microcosm/T.F.H. Professional) (9781890087999): Robert M. Fenner, Matthew L. Wittenrich, Scott W. Michael, Alf Jacob Nilsen, Christopher Turk: B

first half of the book talks about tank selection, water parameters, test kits, fish disease, medications, live rock,; second half of book talks about the various genus of fish and which ones to buy and more importantly which was to avoid and why.

Even though I have 18 yrs in this hobby, I still use as a reference book.

Kirk

Thanks NC2WA...sound like a wonderful resource. We have always been book buyers so it is awesome to get a recommendation on a really good book....Thanks again

Back