Another Lighting Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

memer

I have read and studied and narrowed my selection down but would really like some help, please. This will be a one time purchase and I need to do it right! I upgraded from my 55 gallon, (up 2 years) to a 125 gallon (up one year). It has always been a FOWLR with power compact lighting, total of 260 watts. I have been saving to purchase a light system for the 125 gallon so I can add corals. It is currently seriously underlit although I have been able to keep 2 anemones, alive and well, colt coral and xenia. The tank is 60" long, 18" wide and 24" deep. I have the lighting choices narrowed down to three. Cost is a factor! I am a novice and have slowly learned as I went! No great failures yet.

1. 60 " Current USA SunPod 3x150w 14k HQI MH; I am hesitant because of the internal ballasts. Can ballasts be replaced if needed? I could continue to run my PCF fixture with this if needed, if lighting wasn't strong enough.

2. 60" Current uSA SunPod 3x250w 14k HQI MH. This has external ballasts but would this be too much light for my tank. Could ballasts be replaced for lower wattage lights if needed? I could also run my PCF fixture with this.

3. 60" Odyssea 3x250W DE HQI with external ballasts, 2x65W and 2x96W PCF fixture. Not heard much about these "offbrand" fixtures".

I plan on keeping the tank a mixture of fish and "easy" corals.
Thanks for any and all input!

You can replace the internal ballast, you'll have to disassemble though. The 250w unit would allow you to keep anything you'd ever want but If your certain you'll never want high light demanding corals you could get away with the three 150's. Preferably most reefers would suggest the 250 just to be able to add more to the tank later but heat will also need to be considered more so than the 150's. I had the Current 24" version single 250w hqi & 4 T5's. First thing I did was replace the lamps on all of them because I didn't like the looks, other than that they are well made units IMO.

Heat from that much more light could be a serious problem for you in the future, so keep that in mind too when upgrading lights. Upgrading to more powerful lights might mean also having add a chiller. I hate seeing all the people lose their corals every summer when it gets hot out =\

i think you need to re chek your mesurments on tank 125 gallon would be 72x18x24 i just set one up and im running two 250 metal halide on it seem two light the tank well

Right, I did re-check the measurements on my tank and I guess I should call it a 115 gallon. Outside measurements are 60"long x 25" high and 18" wide, l x w x h divide by 231 = 116.883. My mistake, I was told when purchased it was 125 gallon. I just lost 10 gallons!! I had thought of using pendant lights, more versatility, but I don't really want them hanging from the ceiling in my living room. So far the Sunpod fixture seems like the best in price for the wattage, just can't decide on the wattage and ballasts. External ballasts (the 3 x 250 )would be easier to replace if needed but I'm not sure I need that much wattage. Maybe I should look into a lower wattage fixture with external ballasts? As I said this will be a one time purchase and I want to get it right! Too many choices!!

I have the Odessy fixture on my 75 gal 48" fixture 2 MH and 4 PC light its a Great fixture and the 15K lamps that it came with ok GREAT!

The Sun Pods are GREAT fixtures, but you'll want to use a different bulb than the Current 14k's. They pink out rather quickly (within a few months). I have a 48" 2x150 with XM 20k's in it and I love the fixture. Worth the money IMO. 3 250's will produce a lot of heat, and may not neccessarily be needed on only a 24" deep tank. I run the two 150's on a 120g and as long as I keep my SPS in the top half of the tank I have no problems with growth or color. Same for my Crocea clams. The Sunpods also have their own fans which help keep the fixture pretty cool, and as long as you're running an open top and not under a canopy, I don't think you'll have any problems with the 150's.

Back