Another skimmer question???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ac7av

Bring on the FISH!
I am re doing my 210 gallon tank before things get far enough along that I will not want to. You know the story, getting rid of the plastic containers, funky plumbing, and just cheep equipment that is you get what you pay for. So I got the tank drilled, stand is all sanded and ready to primer and paint, the sump is planned and ready to build. The one thing I can not pull the trigger on is to make 5 to 6 foot counter currant skimmer or to just buy a small (good quality one this time) to fit under the tank. The way the tank will be set up there is a perfect space on the side to build a large counter currant skimmer. I could make it 10 feet tall and it wouldn’t be a problem. From what I have read about them it seems to be a more efficient skimmer if you have the room for one although I’m not to hip in the air stone and air pump part of it. Does any one make a commercial one like that or should I just save my self the trouble and buy a good needle wheel skimmer?

I would buy a decent skimmer. Look at the one "myteemouse" just bought. That thing is sick looking! I read some reviews last night to get my own opinion and like it a lot.

ya i wouild go with the one he bought too i just bought a 200 instead how the 250 for my 155 its ratered for a 175 gallon heavily stocked and a 250 gallon tank with mediem biolaod the one he got will kick its a$$ though it does a 300 and something gallon heavily stocked but its double the price b ut like you just said you get what you pay for

Im a fan of Aqua C simply enough because your buying a service as well...

i think we all have a bunch of old "first" equipment laying around... hell i know i do i just setup anther tank with old stuff...

but you should be able to make the switch over 2 what you need...
there are meny good choice's out there.. and with out throwing anyone under the bus... ill say just ask around... and dont lission to the people who say buy the best... cause money isnt everything.

Be ready to sink a hole-nother (made that word up) level of money in 2 your tank... take your time.. its not going anywhere.

what are the dimentions of the area your plan you place this... and what is the water level of the sump (where you would put it)
you need to consider room where you put it...

I would also over shoot the size of function... For if you plan on upgradeing later you have what you need...

At the track we say .. "do it nice, Or do it twice"

Good day

I will have to go back and look at the post that mytemouse had. I saw that thing and it does look beastie. I don’t think that it will fit under my tank I would still have to put it by the stand if it can be installed (stand alone). I am looking for a good one that will work for a medium to heavy fish load for the 210 gallon. I don’t think I am going to do much with the SPS stuff. I like the softies swaying in the water. I have 25 inches in height in the stand and the sump is going to be 15 X 15 X 69 that will give me some room in front for storage and room to get my arm in to service stuff when needed. My head just starts spinning around on my shoulders when I start looking over the skimmers and the ratings and specifications and air flow and pump water flow and needle wheel and meshmoding and on and on… :eek::eek: see there it goes again.

here are some specs on the swc extreme 250 might want to ask mytee about actuall specs though actually i asked him about the footprint its on the post he has

Foot Print in inches (L x W x H): 15.25 x 12 x 23.5

Xtreme 250 Skimmer

Tank ratings

Light Bioload 640
Medium Bioload 425
Heavy Bioload 315

heres the 200 mine should be here tomorrow or the next day just ordered it last night

Foot Print in inches (L x W x H): 14 x 9 x 21

Xtreme 200 Skimmer

Tank ratings

Light Bioload 350
Medium Bioload 230
Heavy Bioload 175

Ya I was just looking at the spec sheet and it does look as if it my just fit. When I get the sump in the stand Ill have to see what I really have to work with. Do you know if the stand pipes come of the body all the way or just swivel around?

You know that 200 looks pretty good too and half the power consumption half the price.

Ya I was just looking at the spec sheet and it does look as if it my just fit. When I get the sump in the stand Ill have to see what I really have to work with. Do you know if the stand pipes come of the body all the way or just swivel around?

You know that 200 looks pretty good too and half the power consumption half the price.

you would have to ask mytee i dont have mine yet i know jlearnered (i think thats what it is if its not its pretty close) got his 200 and he told me that you can turn the pipe but it makes it longer which is a plus for me because my skimmer section is 12"x16 so it should fit perfect he said it makes it 8" wide and 15" or 16" in lenght

i dont know what model your desideing on.. but remember you will need some more room to remove the cup.. at least on some. so if you get something tight.. your gonna be unhappy later...

make sure 2 take lots of pics... always good for refence later.

(i must have 2 gigs on photo bucket)

That is the question. Knowing now that the tubes on the side come off I know I would be able to get it in and out of the sump with the tank on the stand. The real question because the clearance is going to be tight, will I be able to get the collection cup off the thing when it is in place. I have 25 inches from top to bottom. The skimmer is 23.5 and needs .5 in clearance to remove the collection cup. Will I have that .5 when its in the sump????? Man its gona be close. I really want the 250, it will be all the skimmer I would ever need and then some for when the kids drop something into the tank. I got to get the sump built and in to see just what’s left. Hay Myteemouse, does it look to you like you could really get to cup off that thing with ½ in clearance?

I am going to take lost of pictures before I start putting it all back together this time. It is hopefully going to be a sweet setup this time and no funny business funky plumbing setups and Rubbermaid containers waiting to blow out and flood the house.

I could get it off with 1/2 inch cleanance for sure .
but it also comes with a drain nipple and hose for day to day removal of gunk!

Let me know how that thing goes when you get it fired up. I have read many posts out there that it seems like a difficult skimmer to adjust. Several places I have seen people complaining of overflowing the cup or flooding there house empting the sump onto the floor and so on. I have a feeling its just not following the directions causing most of that.

The stand pipe have an "easy turn" to adjust water level in the skimmer.
And yes when first hooking up make sure the water level is low so you dont do what i jus tdid this morning and overflow my waste container!
you can always plug the waste hose hole and have the thing overflow back to the sump untill you find a happy spot!
Mine started to actually skimm in the middle of the night last night and overflowed my little waste container!

I hop it didn’t do anything serious. Ya that’s kinda what I herd around the net about that. Does the manual say anything about that? I know some skimmers need some time to break in but that thing goes nuts when it kicks in. I wonder if you would have the same problem after cleaning it too.

Any new skimmer is going to raise up like that after it breaks in. If you have a brand new skimmer and put the water level up to high and then after it starts breaking in the foam head starts you have yourself a foam cannon. And the more air that is being injected the larger the foam cannon.

Back