another test kit ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

is their one kit out there that will test for all the stuff u need to test for? and two is there a base water quailty that need to be met at all cost to keep a good enviroment for evrything in the tank

Do you mean a kit that has multiple test kits in it? Probably is, but I'm not familiar with one. I've seen multi-test kits from Red Sea, but never used them. I think the 3 main test kits you MUST have are calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. You also need a good pH tester. Either handheld or a controller that monitors pH. I switched to Elos kits for those 3 and I'm pretty happy with them. Spendy, but good.

API makes a Master Test Kit that has Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Nitrates, and Phosphates I believe. I have one but bought individual Elos test kits not long after because I was skeptical of the results. The API kit seemed to read higher calcium than I had in the tank. Anyway, I regularly monitor calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. My RKE monitors pH 24/7. Periodically I test for nitrates and phosphates. I never check ammonia or nitrites.

Mike

Anyway, I regularly monitor calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. My RKE monitors pH 24/7. Periodically I test for nitrates and phosphates. I never check ammonia or nitrites.

That about sums it up for what most long time reefers do.
AFAIK Red Sea test kits are the only all in one box you can buy but are pretty undependable for reefkeeping and cost about $60. For near thesam price, you can get the DKH, Ca and Mg kits from Salifert.

Back