another what am i

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

We have this thing growing on live rock we bought. It's grown pretty fast, about an inch the past week. Is it ok, and will the foxface decide it's dinner?
She added the foxface and a bubble tip anemone today.
10551709_1437246569890818_4379900571742533760_o.jpg

Not sure what that is, but knowing me, it would have been removed a long time ago. With anything that resembles a plant or algae I remove and when doing it, you have to be careful because it's very easy to release spores into your tank that will just spread the problem to other areas of the tank which will make it even harder to control.

With that said, some people actually like the natural look of plants growing in their tank's so the main concern would be to see whether what you have wouldn't cause any issues.

Yup, calurpa according to the guy at the fish store. This evening it's gone though. Dio the foxface has eaten it all. So now my daughter feels bad for the other fish(1 occilarus, 4 green chromis) because they are only fed one a day and Dio gets to eat all day so she wants to now feed them twice a day. Not happening. Algae. That's why I spent $40 on a silly fish, yeah I know it's not that much in the fish world, but I don't like paying that much for a stupid fish...bah.. the things I do for my kid, even when she's 20

Last edited:
Yup, failures according to the guy at the fish store. This evening is gone though. Dio the foxface has eaten it all. So now my daughter feels bad for the other fish(1 occilarus, 4 green chromis) because they are only fed one a day and Dio gets to eat all day so she wants to now feed them twice a day. Not happening. Algae. That's why I spent $40 on a silly fish, yeah I know it's not that much in the fish world, but I don't like paying that much for a stupid fish...bah.. the things I do for my kid, even when she's 20

I like have certain fish in my tanks to do just that. Go around and graze all day on any algae that may pop up. It's their job and they are good at it.
Don't be tempted to give the other fish extra food to make up for the extra the foxface is getting.

Other than the foxface what fish are good algae waters? Tonight it was monkey see monkey do. The foxface would nibble in an area, then the clown would rush over and take a few nibbles, then the chromis would follow the clown. It's rather funny, the foxface seems afraid of the others. Each of the others is no more than an inch long and the foxface is pretty close to 4x their size. The little come near and color fades, spines go up, and he's at the far end of the tank.
On of the chromis has changed color. It was a nice greenish blue and now it looks more yellow gray.
And just for fun....the clown fish is named Seymor and the anemone is named Audrey. Kid has named the chromis Peaches, Zelda, Dean, and I can't remember the fourth... I call them eeny meeny miny mo.

we keep getting hair algae i our tank and wish we could keep a fox face but our tank is too small at 10l.

a turbo snail can help.
I had major issues in my 90 and added 3 turbos. they did a great job. Be persistent in manual removal. are you using RODI water? over feeding? how much flow do you have in the tank? besides manual removal, use a turkey baster or powerhead and blow the rocks off to get the detritus and left over food out of the rock. it settles and feeds the algae.

Back