Anthias tank size

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

young_skywalker

I want to set up an anthias tank but unfortunately I am limited on space. so I was wondering what a minimum tank would be for a trio (most likely either Bartlett's or Ventralis) I know these are a couple of the smaller anthias. I've been told two extremes and was wondering everyone's opinion. Also is overall surface area more important or length? (I was thinking of a 65 H)

I would favor a long thank vs. a deep (high) tank. They like to swim a lot. To be perfectly comfortable with space, I would encourage these fish to be housed in no less than a 125 gallon display aquarium, or one that is at least 6 feet long. Most however end up in 4 foot long aquariums. In no case would I suggest a display of less than 4 foot length.

The Ventralis for sure. They are more difficult and the male usually fights with its females. They (females) will need a lot of space to retreat. The Bartletts would be okay in a 4 foot long tank (70 or 75 gallon variety).

The assumption here is that the landscaping will leave a lot of swimming room, yet provide 'hidey-holes' when the need arises. :)

Although most references say the fish gets to 3 inches long, I've seen both species at 4+ inches in captivity.

Back