Anthias with taste for Gorgonians!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cutndrag2

Well I noticed yesterday that my anthias(Lyretail Anthias) has developed a taste for Gorgonians! Wich my tank happens to full of five differnent species but only has a taste for two of the five. The Purple Frilly(Pseudopterogorgia elisabthae) and Purple Ribbon(Pterogorgia anceps) but leaves the other three alone. They are feed very well five times a day with a variety of food from zoo plankton, blood worms, brine shrimp and so on and it's only one of the fish. Has anyone had this problem or something simular to it?

Thats a strange one. I have never heard of that species doing that, normally they are just meat eaters. Might be worth getting something simular to a strawberry basket to cover the gorg and get it off the habit.

MIke

Well I have been waching the problem anthias for about nine days and I found the problem or should I say the smart anthias! She will stay in her favorite cave during feeding time and casually pic the food out of the water column but when all the commotion from the other fish has stoped she comes back out to steal the food that the gorgonians have caught in there polyps she pics at her own pace never getting the polyp but just the shrimp or whatever food they catch. Thanks for help.

Yes impressive but it about got her sold. Just shows waching your tank and being patient with it will show you somthig new and impressive about every day.

My seahorses are getting pretty lazy, and are chasing the mysis shrimp around less and less, instead prefering to pick it off the gorgonias and nylon screen over the internal overflow. The problem is that means more mysis are getting past them and feeding the bristleworms. I wondered if they will hurt the gorgonias over the long term, they snick pretty hard, almost explosively.

Back