Any advise on an octopus tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

GA-PEACHES

My friend has a 75 gallon tank and is wanting to get one. Is there any tips on anything needed to care for one? Any advise would be wounderful.

Alot of research and a REAL tight lid. I'd probably add a wet dry, they are pigs.

Don

Alot of research and a REALLY REALLY tight lid. I'd probably add a wet dry, they are pigs.

Don

Fixed it! :):):) J/K

They are escape artist supreme so you HAVE to have a tight fitting lid and fiberglas screening stuffed in all holes.

Take a look at this link: Cephalopod Research. If you scroll down to "octopus research" under cuttlefish, then you'll see different articles on keeping an octopus. If your friend is interested in cuttlefish, I believe one of our sponsors here had just posted about getting some cuttlefish in. They can be really cool to keep, as well. Here's the link to the sponsor asking if anyone is interested in Cuttlefish.

Hope the articles on keeping an octopus help!

75g for an octo? Maybe a blue ring IF you can get your hands on one but other than that...

The only people that I've seen successfully keep theirs from escaping, drain the tank about 6 inches from the top and add an unsavory surface to that area like sandpaper. At the Seattle aq, they keep it down about 18 inches but theirs is huge :)

i have a reef type octopus from karratha W.A. he has inked a couple of time in the tank and i have left it for a couple of days i dont think its that bad for the water quality it disapers in second and has never affected any of the corals i have in the tank
my tanks is 5ft bayview just over 2ft deep and 1.5 at its widest the tank has been running about 4 months and had only about 4 water changes
i have only had him escape 1 time when i left the lid off for about 3 days my lid is just eggcreate he wont crawl through it because as soon as he hit gravity i imagine the eggcreat is to shrarpe for him to pull him self over u could also use velcro around the lip of the tank and or use gutter gurad comeing up from the sides of the tank as the ocy cant grip the small mesh if u have anymore questions im sure i can help also i have some pics but dont have time to post them now thier just of me hand feeding the occy and holding him in my hand

also they dont like red one time my mate walked out side to look at the tank wearing a red jumper the occy inked and my mate told me 30seconds later and there was no trace of ink

Back