ANY GAC for RO Drinking water filtration?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

XeoNoX

Is ANY Activated Carbon good to use as a refill in a refillable reverse osmosis cartridge for use in a reverse osmosis system? i know coconut activated carbon is preferred but can other ones work in a RO system such as bituminous coal-based activated carbon?

i was thinking of using bituminous coal-based Marineland Premium Black Diamond Activated Carbon, is it safe for drinking water filtration?

The FDA has not approved it, but if you want to give it a shot, that's up to you.

Since it's not being sold for human consumption, it doesnt fall under the FDA's purview, but if you chose to misuse a product, that is not the manufacturer's responsibility nor are they liable for any issues that may arise.

Because of that, I'm not gonna say you should do it, but you certainly could do it.

The only concern I could think of would be that the coconut carbon filter doesnt have the fine debris that GAC would/does. The typical order of the filters is Coconut Carbon, 5 micron filter, 1 micron filter, and then DI filter.....

By running GAC instead of cocunut those fine particulates could very well end up quickly clogging your 5 micron filter.

The FDA has not approved it, but if you want to give it a shot, that's up to you.

Since it's not being sold for human consumption, it doesnt fall under the FDA's purview, but if you chose to misuse a product, that is not the manufacturer's responsibility nor are they liable for any issues that may arise.

Because of that, I'm not gonna say you should do it, but you certainly could do it.

The only concern I could think of would be that the coconut carbon filter doesnt have the fine debris that GAC would/does. The typical order of the filters is Coconut Carbon, 5 micron filter, 1 micron filter, and then DI filter.....

By running GAC instead of cocunut those fine particulates could very well end up quickly clogging your 5 micron filter.

i was thinking the same thing as GAC is GAC i.mo. ...but i was wondering what are the dangers if any? if its fine for the fish it should be fine for me right? (lol)

I honestly dont know.....I'm not a doctor.

yea i didnt take any chances and just bought the right GAC for human consumption. i just figured i would ask to see what other people thought. thanks guys for the input and fedback.

Best way to remove Chloramines = Catalytic GAC. About 50% of the city's use Chloramines. If you have chloramines in your water, your reverse osmosis filter array should be from first stage to last : stage 1: 10 micron PP sediment filter stage 2: Catalytic GAC stage 3: 1 micron coconut shell carbon block stage 4: your membrane stage 5: mixed bed di resin (if applicable).

There are two typical sizes of the catalytic carbon this is referred to as mesh size...I only sell the larger size (so it never clogs the "downstream" carbon block) i sell everything water purification. Check out my website www.theh2oguru.com

If you have chlorine your reverse osmosis filter array from first stage to last : stage 1: 10 micron PP sediment filter stage 2: 5 micron coconut shell carbon block stage 3: 1 micron coconut shell carbon block stage 4: your membrane stage 5: mixed bed di resin

www.airwaterice.com
Email: [email protected]
772-461-0256
home of the h2o guru

Back