any homebrewers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

big t

tankless
Hey I was on a beer brew board and I saw old Slickdonkey posting over there and he has an impressive 10 keg kegerator! How many others are there that love to brew their own? I have been homebrewing for about 2 years and it sure is a great hobby for the diy'er and also is nice and slow paced, plus you get beer!

The board that I look at the most is
brewboard.com
also homebrewtalk.com is good.

There are a lot of different levels of homebrewing. I am personally into all grain brewing, but I started out by reading The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian, and doing extract batches with specialty grains. The early brews came out great! I switched to all grain so that I could have more complete controll over the end product and also becuase I wanted to build all the equipment to do it :)

Home brewing sounds like a blast! I previously made wine but currently am into home-roasting and blending coffees. So you in Denver now?

Down South we don't brew, we make shine, something that can run your bike on down the race track!;)
My uncle had a still for years until he passed, then some how it mysteriously disappeared!:badgrin:

My uncle had a still for years until he passed, then some how it mysteriously disappeared!
Funny thing......The exact thing happened when my grandfather passed.;)

I previously made wine but currently am into home-roasting and blending coffees. So you in Denver now?

let me guess, you tried JAmaican blue mountain and you fell in love with the coffee addiction :D :p.... i know I did :lol:, there's no better coffee than that one but still trying to taste a little bit of everything hehe:D .

let me guess, you tried Jamaican blue mountain and you fell in love with the coffee addiction :D :p.... i know I did :lol:, there's no better coffee than that one but still trying to taste a little bit of everything hehe:D .

I wasn't real impressed with Jamaican for the price relative to Costa Rican SHB. I am most fond of the African coffees such as Tanzanian, Yemen and Ethiopian, and even Kenya. Papua New Guinea is one of my real favorites. Stand alone favorite has to be a rich cup of light roasted Kona.

I wasn't real impressed with Jamaican

hmm..aaah :eek: :p, i loved that coffee it's just not to strong and it doen't make me go #2 right away AND no heart burns :|:p:D.
we tried Kona and i just don't knwo what's the deal with that one but i definetly don't like it one bit :oops:... seriously i tried it at least 3 times to make sure it wasn't just in my head and still did not like it .
i have never tried the African ones but since you like them, i gotta give them a try :D.
i have tried the typical starbucks ones and i don't know what's the deal but i feel like they're just blah now :rolleyes::oops:.... specially the french roast thingy.... just not right :p.

By the way, do you get yours on line or where dood?
so far the jamaican one we had to get it on line

French roast is just burnt coffee. Most Char-bucks is overroasted and then over-sweetened. Makes no difference the quality of bean to start with, just charcoal remains. Light roast lets the origin show through. No 2 Konas are the same. any are Boooooorrring. Some are amazing! Pricey stuff to find out which, but having spent a bunch of time there, learned what I liked. If you like Jamaika, try some Costa Rican High mountain. Tastes the same or better but literally 1/3 to 1/4 the price.

French roast is just burnt coffee. Most Char-bucks is overroasted and then over-sweetened. Makes no difference the quality of bean to start with, just charcoal remains. Light roast lets the origin show through. No 2 Konas are the same. any are Boooooorrring. Some are amazing! Pricey stuff to find out which, but having spent a bunch of time there, learned what I liked. If you like Jamaika, try some Costa Rican High mountain. Tastes the same or better but literally 1/3 to 1/4 the price.

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: .
ya starbucks is just not right, i still like their frapuccinos though :p :D .
that's kewl dood, but i think i'm gonna try your Papua new guinea and see how we like it :D .
now when you say blending are you mixing your own thing? my in laws do that all the time and sometimes is a hit or miss :) .
and do you do your coffee with a normal electric coffee maker?

now when you say blending are you mixing your own thing? my in laws do that all the time and sometimes is a hit or miss :) .
and do you do your coffee with a normal electric coffee maker?

Yes experiment in which flavors add what notes to make a whole chorus of flavors. Once had a shipment of 8 1/2 pound samples get abused during shipping. All the bags broke open and they mixed up. It was delicious, I called it FedX blend. Grind with a burr grinder and brewed with an electric drip

Yes experiment in which flavors add what notes to make a whole chorus of flavors. Once had a shipment of 8 1/2 pound samples get abused during shipping. All the bags broke open and they mixed up. It was delicious, I called it FedX blend. Grind with a burr grinder and brewed with an electric drip

LMAO!!! :lol: .
that's awesome :D :p.
i haven't tried that yet but everytime i go to my in laws we have whatever they make and it's always awesome .
we've been doing our coffee with a sort of mug thingy (don't remember the name right now) and to me it makes the coffee much better because you don't get the dust at the bottom of the mug thingy, it takes a little bit more of effort to make the coffee because you gotta boil the water but other than that i love the coffee mug thingy :) .

I wish I knew you guys like that coffee. The company I work for owns it. They just spun it off and sold a couple tractor trailer loads here really cheap. I got 24 count cases for between $10-20. The kona is my favorite also. I have some spare costa rican. Melissa likes the creme brulee

I wish I knew you guys like that coffee. The company I work for owns it. They just spun it off and sold a couple tractor trailer loads here really cheap. I got 24 count cases for between $10-20. The kona is my favorite also. I have some spare costa rican.

What size etc is a case? What company? Green or roasted coffees? How fresh?

What size etc is a case? What company? Green or roasted coffees? How fresh?
case = 24, 8oz boxes, Gevalia, All, Straight from the factory, The Kona and Jamacian blue mountain were more.

I got a case of Kona for I think $75, the blue mountain was something like $125 a case. I only bought a few boxes of the blue mountain.

Back