Any large system owners using a 2-part solution

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

...for alk/ca/mg maintenance? I'm talking 300+ gallons? I have been struggling to keep my alk steady using my current Ca Rx, which is a Deltec fluidized reactor. I have a ph controller on it (Milwaukee) but the issue is that the effluent discharge rate slows down over a period of days as the airline tube gets clogged with dissolved media. I then have to tweak the Deltec airvalve on the effluent line to get the flow moving again, then try to crimp it down to the rate it was at previously....the end result is that my alk is always doing a slow swing over a 2 point range (6.5 to 8.5--I keep it low due to Zeovit requirements). My corals aren't liking the swings. One person I know recommended that I swap out my reactor for a 2-part solution.

Is this really practical for a 380g (net) system? How expensive would the solutions cost? I have no experience with that method of Alk/Ca maintenance.

Or should I try to modify my Rx instead, maybe replace the airline tubing with a silicone tube of larger diameter??

thanks for your advice :)

I would fix the reactor. 2 parts are going to get expensive and diy 2 parts are not really all that great on large systems just due to the fact that they get less in the way of waterchanges. Try controling the input on your deltec or use vacuum to pull water through the reactor.

Don

You can run a peristaltic on the output of most ca reactors. Eliminates the feed pump and never plugs. Also eliminates the gas build up.

Don

fix the reactor because in the end 2 part is going to make you spend alot of money calcium reactor is almost a must for a big tank holding sps

Thanks Don. That is the answer I am looking for! There you go Jan that could be a relatvely easy fix. I will have to look into this when I get a calium reator set-up.

Schuran figured it out years ago but it does add big expense of the paristaltic pump. Diy two or three parts are very cheap especially if you buy in bulk. The imbalances are the issue so you end up blowing the savings on salt and ro filters.

Don

You could try installing a silicone tube of larger diameter as you suggest. If that works, then you just saved the cost of a perstaltic pump. However, you can find deals on peristaltic pumps if you keep an eye out for one.

g

I had the same problem on my CA Rx for a long time and the easy answer for me was to put a swing gate valve on the discharge line. I forget who makes it, and it was like $10 for what looks like a micro ball valve, but it has never clogged or slowed since. might be worth looking into.

SRV doesnt use a reactor but his tank isnt exactly SPS dominant.Maybe we could see how it cost for him to dose per month verses a calcium reactor.

It would cost more to start one up but how long does it take for it to make up for itself compared to dosing

This tank used 780 ml per day of diy two part thats almost two pints and only 80 g.

Dons_001.jpg

Back