Any reccomendations for a 90 Gal inside tank powerhead?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

XeoNoX

i was looking at the maxi jet 1200 or the hydor koralia 3 or 4?? Ill take other suggestions as well. Prefferably under $100 and around $50 would be great

I have 2 maxi jet 1200 on my 215g reef. Both are on the back pane pointig at a slight angle twords the front. They seem to wrk pretty good.

WOW, that's all You have for a 215? I have 4 K4s in my 210 and get decent amounts of alternating flow. It all depends on what you plan on having in their, and how much surface area is restricting the flow. Start with a couple maxi jets or a couple Larger Koralias on opposite ends, and it will probably be enough if you have good output from your return pump as well.

Im trying a new brand now called aquatop. Their powerheads are relatively cheap but high power! 3200gph and 1300gph for my 75g DT....

The Koralia 3 & 4 are ok. However, it you ever decide to use them with a controller, you would be better off with the Koralia Evolution powerheads.

For a 90 gal, if you want to use a maxijet I would strongly recommend modding them as I've seen a few people do here. They don't produce a lot of flow nor a wide/broad pattern so you won't get a lot of coverage in a 90 gal. I used 3 maxijet 1200's in a 24 gal nano along with a tunze nano stream and from my experience, I'd say the maxijet won't do a whole lot for you in a tank that size. The Koralia's I couldn't say for sure although I have heard good things about them. :)

I've got both Korallia Evolution powerheads and Tunze's Streams running on my system right now. I've also used Maxi-Jet 1200's & 900's with the Algae Free Maxi-Jet mod kits in the past. The Mod Kits dont work well with a controller.

The Streams work extremely well with the controller.

I'm using the Korallia Evo 1400's and 1050's simulataneously in my 40 breeder frag tank controlled by Hydor's Korallia SmartWave controller.
IMO, you really cant beat the Korallia's with a Smartwave in terms of cost effective random flow. There are some things I'm not thrilled with about the Smartwave, but nothing that is currently a deal breaker.

I've only been using the Smartwave and Korallia Evo's for a short time, (2-3 months on Evo 1050's, Approx 2 weeks on the SmartWave), so I cant vouch for reliability of the system. But so far, its working as advertised.

What I dont like about the Smartwave:

1...There is an audible click when the Korallia's switch from one side/set of pumps to the other.
2...The time intervals on the controller are annoying IMO. The three longest settings are for 1 hour, 3 hours with 2 mandatory 15 minute feed breaks per 24 hours, or 6 hours with a mandatory 15 minute food break every 24 hours. What's annoying about this to me is that the controller comes with a setting that lets you shut down all pumps as long as you'd like for food breaks. You do need to remember to turn it back on afterwards otherwise your' pumps wont come back on....but thats a minor issue IMO. With the ability to turn off all pumps whenever you'd like for feeding, why design the controller to have the two longest time cycles to have mandatory food breaks? Personally, I'd prefer to have my pumps running on a 6 hour cycle, but since this is a frag tank, I'm just sticking with the 1 hour cycle. This also cycles the pumps more frequently than the other two modes would. There have been some early reports of the Korallia Evo pumps starting up and running backwards while connected to the Smartwave, but I havent experianced that yet.

Allegedly, the Korallia Magnums are able to used on the SmartWave as well, but I havent tried it yet, so I cant confirm.

The Smartwave comes with only two plugs to run pumps, however, each plug can run up to 100 watts of pumps. So in theory, you could run as much as 8 Korallia Magnums per side. I went ahead and ordered some Extension cord splitters from amazon to allow me to run 4 pumps at once, (two per side). I also have two 5 way splitters that I'm going to be trying here shortly.

I think for your set up, you could be just fine with A smartwave and 4 Korallia Evo 1400's initially.

Nick

thanks guys for all the input, ill be leaning towards one of the Koralia Evolutions 1050's or 1400's

I have 3 koralia evelution 1400's in my 90. It could almost use a little more flow.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Back