Any St. Louis area reefers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey everyone! I'm looking for any reefers around the STL area to discuss LFS, possible frag trading, and general reefing conversations. What are peoples favorite stores? Any tips or tricks of the trade willing to share? Just seeing if there was anyone around my area, as I have seen there are lots of memebers in WA and other west coast areas. I was thinking if there was anyone from around MO on here it could help with a selection of LFS and better our quality of the hobby.

Hello from Lake Saint Louis.

There are a number of STL reefers that participate on Reef Frontiers. The closest LFS to your location is Marine Solutions. My best tip/trick for you would be to trade frags locally. It will give you the opportunity to meet new people who share your interest in the hobby, and receive frags that would often be difficult or expensive to acquire through a LFS.

If you would like to meet some local reefers, there will be a big BBQ get-together this Saturday afternoon/night. Or if you just want to pick someones brain, don't hesitate, your more than welcome. Being able to have reefing conversations in person is priceless.

I see you have a lot of softy's. So does my girlfriend. I'm sure she would like to trade with you. She is a big fan of Ric's and Zoo's.

Mike

Maxx, Reefergeorge, Me, MSS, Spooda420, Logiktest, (can't remember Bob's user name ATM), plus there's several others.

I prefer Planet Reef and Clayton Pet Emporium

Beldts recently spent a whole lot of money on upgrades but the last time I was there, the new tanks were dirty and they were selling a piece of LR absolutely covered with aiptasia as an anemone rock. :badgrin: (Which is true but no one wants aiptasia)

There's a huge shakeup right now at Marine Solutions. Gary and Scott (two of the previous owners of MS) shop at Planet Reef now. Matt and Seth quit MS and now work at Planet Reef. Mark quit MS and opened up a store way down Manchester. (I haven't been there yet).

Andy's Animals is concentrating on puppies and kittens right now but they still have some marine tanks going. Last time I was there, there were a lot of aiptasia and majono anemones.

The last time I was at Gateway Aquatics, there were flatworms and ich as far as the eye could see. He has lost most of his employees too. However, I haven't been there in a long time.

I haven't been to Aquatic Treasures in Illinois since Velco moved into a smaller space to save on rent. As a result, I can't really say anything about the condition of his tanks.

Clayton Pet Emporium always has spotless tanks (because Jan runs ozone). Unfortunately the rent she has to pay to be in Clayton makes some of her prices outrageous IMO.

Planet Reef is upgrading all of their filtration and has really improved a lot since changing it's General Manager. The former one had never actually run a marine tank before. :rolleyes: Disclosure: I no longer work at nor maintain a financial interest in Planet Reef

Last edited:
Jan is currently trying to sell Clayton Pet Emporium. Because I knew of some behind the scenes things I couldn't say anything before. However, now the cat's out of the bag.

I always like to stop by Planet Reef, and see whats going on. They always have something new to look at, and don't mind a good reef conversation.
I haven't been in the market for anything but lights, and salt. So I have no clue whats going on lately.
Curt, I'm sorry you are no longer at PR. It's always great picking your brain.:)
Oh, and whats the deal I hear PR is going to start selling FW?

Back