Any suggestions for steering a noob?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Infinite

Just started my 75 gallon reef tank and wanted to know if anyone has input for a noober. The tank is hooked up to a 30 gallon fuge and an overflow box by Tom Aquatics Pro Series Surface Skimmer Overflow Box<sectioned into 3 parts, one compartment has live sand some culpera, micro hermits a piece of live rock and an 18 watt actn. lighting. the return pump area has just the pump nothing else, the 3rd comp which is the inlet area has live rock small portions and soon a chunk of live rock..10lbs> i had a Rena xp2 canister filter so im using that also with carbon pack and normal filter padding no cermaics. This has been running for a week. The lighting Im waiting for my order to arrive its a 760 watt fixture<HQI amp:2 x 250W/PC light bulb:4 x 65W. I have 50lbs of live rock and a sand bed of 4"s. and finally circulation im using 3 nano korlia powerheads.
So please feel free to give any knowledge on the subject all are welcome. Peace Out and Good Huntin!

Last edited:
Hello;

Read, Read, Read. And, the most important advice I can give, "leave yourself open to other options." :)

Sounds like you are off to a good start with your setup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If this don't work, I can always change the water!"

"OFM"

Enjoy!

OFM

I hear that forever reading and learning new things and reinforcing old ones.
Whats your thing on skimmers? Would it be wise "Oldmanfish" to include one on this setup Oh by the way peeked at your pics. I like much...

sounds pretty good.
One thing though, it depends what kind of corals you want but for med-high flow corals, the karolia nanos will probably be too weak.
are they even the nanos or do they have a number(1, 2, 3, or 4)

I have a 72g reef and have my eye on that msx 160 skimmer as well. I second that a skimmer is a good idea and that if those are actually nano koralias you want more flow. If you end up getting a good skimmer I'd ditch the canister filter. Not neccesary and supposedly they are nitate factories.

Oh yeah, welcome to RF!

Welcome to RF!! :D One thing I'd like to add to what was already suggested is to be careful using caulerpa that it doesn't go "sexual" on you. There are many other "algae's" out there you can use for nutrient export that won't go "sexual" like chaeto etc.

Just a few thoughts! Good luck! :)

Hello Infinite;

I ran my reef 2-years without a full time skimmer. However, I recently started running my skimmer full time for oxygen and other gas exchange and in removing dissolved organic compounds as my livestock has increased. I run my skimmer wet, I do not believe a dry skimmate removes all the DOC's the skimmer could remove and further reduces efficiency. Some, run dry only --- reasons vary.

I use a UGF on the left side of my tank and would prefer to use a good fine airstone on it or open the air jet. This works very well on a freshwater tank for gas exchange. On a saltwater tank this works but, creates too much salt deposits for me. The skimmer does this gas exchange for me.

If you change a good portion of your water a week (above 15%) I would say it is your choice to run a skimmer or not. Many tanks run without them.

I am happy you like my pictures and I hope this information helps. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would you do with a brain if you had one!"

"Dorothy -- Wizard of Oz"

Enjoy!

OFM

Last edited:
Oh my god! Thanks for the inputs, man I luv collective thinking.I agree maybe I need to upgrade those nano's. I'll start my research on skimmers. Thanks for the info on chaetos i'll look into those.
thanks soo much..

"OMG"!lol
Looks like you're off to a great start. be sure to keep us posted:D
Also, If you want help with choosing a skimmer you can PM skimmerwhisperer(he's a member here)

Welcome to RF. A couple of observations. Tank and fuge set-ups sound great, and the DSB is good to. It appears to me though that your flow is quite low. You said that it is a 75 gallon reef which should have flow of ~greater than 50x/hr. Just the nano's makes the turn-over about 10x. I had a 70 gallon and had a Tunze 6055 and Tunze 6045 and my turnover with just the ph's was 37x turnover before my return, etc. I would think about more flow in the tank. ALso you mention that you are leaving the "normal filter padding" in your rena. Need to keep an eye on the nitrates with that. ALso, you really could leave the carbon and just add more rubble and no filter padding. I used some filter padding for the 1 48 hours to pull out all the debirs, etc and then permanently removed it.

I use Caulerpa Prolifera in my fuge and one of the tricks, but not guarantee is to run your fuge light 24/7. Again not a guarantee it won't go sexual, but improves the likelyhood it won't. I would avoid the grape caulerpa all together (just my bad experience...really invasive). I hope this helps in some small way. Good luck, this is quite the passion/addiciton.

WELCOME

I also think the flow lacks a bit... i have two tunze 6045's and a mag 7 for my 75.

second, i think you said you just started the tank.... and already have inverts. same em.. they will not live thur a cylce.

are you testing yet?

Ok aquafinatics!!
I have taken consideration of all your suggestions. All of you have been a great bunch to talk to and listen. I updated my equipment a lil i know i should get alil more flow but couldnt do it this month.

Updated System setup:
--------------------------------------------
Pro Clear aquatics MPS75 protein skimmer
---------------------------------------------
I upgraded two of the three NANO <no~nos> to
Koralia 3's, looking to get a 3rd to replace the last nano.
--------------------------------------------------------
Refugium: 30 gallon long is the same.
Just added the refugium start up kit for IPSf.com
< great items luv this website for this stuff, I mean all of there products are grrreeat!>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
48" 760 watts generic lighting fixture
2(250watts MH)
4 (65 watt PC)
6 moonlights
(Price is a steal laong with quality luv this website from ebay bought already 2 lightin fixtures not dissappointed at all!!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return pump upgrade from rio 1400 to MaG5 luvin this stuff

thanks again for all your help reefrontieeners!!
End.
Next post Live Rock Or should I start it somewhere else?
Dont want to be completely dependant on the wisdom of onliners.

Peace Out and Good Huntin, even if im a plant eater.

Everything sounds goods, interesting choice on the skimmer. WIll be interested to hear if that works out for you. If not, please ask before you buy your next one. Save your Nano's they will come in handy later. I have one that I have used for many different things...holding tank circulation, mixing salt, increase to fuge flow - etc. You can keep adding to this thread, in regards to your live rock. You just run the risk that someone might not realize you have more questions and not get as many responses.

interesting choice on the skimmer. WIll be interested to hear if that works out for you. If not, please ask before you buy your next one.

you should ask, before you buy equipment, many of us have bought equipment that didn't cost much and found out why later.

I once had a proclearaquatics skimmer that came with a wet/dry I once had and it wasn't the greatest :oops: Hope you have better luck! :)

hey finn:

I like the MPS75 protein skimmer. I have hooked it up and have seen good organics collection in the cup. Its too early to tell how great this thing is really. I add real live stock in a couple of months, I'll keep you posted with the tanks parameters.

Helloo there;

I was wondering?...Well I opened a bag of silicate sand like a month or so and never really did anything with it. I just had it in my custom glass fluidized sand filter sitting in the corner of my room. Would it be a bad idea to use this (sand) with my preexisitng filter system and tank?
Thanks

I do think I understand alil how you feel, because its kinda annoyinglyee<own word> messy evem. having a separate container always gets filled...but guess that means its working?
What did you find that you didnt like about this unit Krish? or anyone else who has input...
peace out

That skimmer may work, but it is tiny. 3" x22" might work for a tank half that size,, maybe.

Last edited:
Back