any suggestions on moving big tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kitteness

I have a 210g that is extremely heavy that needs to get moved over about 10 ft. but also i need a 55g moved over to the side so the 210g can take its place. I also need help with the plumbing of the tank since i have no internal overflows. I have a pretty small clearance on the sides of the tank. So some manuevering is going to have to be done.

Is there anyone that can send me in the right direction of finding help to get my project started? I'm willing to pay for it of course. I cannot do this by myself as I don't know enough burly men that i can get in one spot at the same time to help me out.

First... Mix up a large container of saltwater (preferably mixed and aerated 24 hours +). Then, get some kiddy pools, place a tarp over them(for added strenth) then drain the aquarium into those. Place a heater and powerhead in there, and the livestock should be OK while you move. Once the tank is setup, move about 50-75% of the kiddy pool water into the tank, reaquascape, and fill the rest of the water with the mixed water change... Acclimate inhabitants with 5g buckets and airline drip, just to be safe.

-Josh-:cool:

yes i had to custom order the glass braces and then i siliconed them on about a week ago

I have only live rock and corals and shrimp and reef lobster and starfish and sea urchin in the 55g that i need moved so i could easily do the kiddie pool thing(as long as nothing decides it wants to crawl out) I think that if i have the 55g empty i can get my dad and boyfriend to move that.

But the 210 needs 4 strong people on the corners

the 210g will be empty and the hood can come off but the tank and stand have to move togetther and it is all glass and the stand is really flippin heavy but it doesn't have to go all that far

but the problem is getting the plumbing done before i move the tank the things that i need help with is the hurricane 1200 overflow down to the sump, the skimmer, and the return pump plumbing. I need to cut exact holes in the stand for the pipes to go in and out though which i know if i do i will screw it up. This will sound crazy but we have a wholesale lumberyard business mukilteocedar.com in the back yard(its my father and brothers big operation). So I have grown up around all the wood working but i am to scared to do it myself:eek: . But I could work a deal with anyone who wants to help me so that they could use any of the tools, saws and such anytime for any tank projects they are doing. I know one of you guys would love to have access to all the big boy toys to play with at anytime!:D I also have access to all kinds of wood but we mainly work with cedar and teak.

So let me know and I can pay, trade off with toys or beg! I don't know if it could all be done in one day or not since i have never done it before. I'm assuming that the plumbing would have to be done first becasue if there were any problems i don't want the critters stressed for more time than necessary.

Anyways let me know what ya think and some sort of direction to go in

your going to need atleast a day for plumbing then it should cure for a day and then fill with freshwater and check for leaks and repair if any are found. be sure to install unions in all lines and by any equipment attatched directly to the plumbing for ease of repair and maintainance. when you are leak free you can add salt and turn on pumps and heaters and let run for a day while you check salinity and then ph and other parameters. so i would say a total af at least 3 days to get it running and then it needs rock and time to cycle before the fish come back out of qt. if things go smoothly and help gets organized soon you could have the 210 ready about the time the fish are ready to come out of qt!:D :D :D

Something we've done in the past when moving heavy systems that included tank, stands , plumbing etc is to get two square rollers from Home Depot. I don't remember the technical name of them but they are just padded square frames on wheels. With the tank emptied, 2-3 of you should be able to lift one end at a time and another person can slide a roller underneath the stand. Repeat on the other end and your tank will be easy to manuever around the room.

Cy

Back