Anybody know how to drill glass tanks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jojo

Hello....I have a 46 gallon glass bowfront that I would like to drill wondering if anybody local has the equipment to do it and knows how.....

Jojo...I drilled mine with a tile/glass bit in my dremel. I marked out a circle, and ever so slowly drilled through the glass with the bit then slowly cut out the circle. I kept putting water on it the whole time to keep the bit and glass cool. Worked like a breeze...very easy. I had no trouble whatsoever, and wayyy cheaper than a diamond holesaw or glass drill bit....oh and I used a Roto zip not a dremel.

Last edited:
hmmmm... would you interested in doing it again on my tank maybe?? I could pay you off in frags or some cash...

Hmmm....tempting bro, but I would hate to ruin my streak....I wouldnt want your tank to be the one that I broke......how thick is the glass? How many holes and what size? This is a tank that can be drilled right? If you sign a waiver ie; dont kill me if something happens I'd be willing to do it. I'm not really worried about it, it's just that it's easier when it's your own you know?

Last edited:
Lol I'll sign a waiver no problem....just 1 hole 1'' for a standpipe...im not really sure how thick the glass is.

A glass company in Olympia drilled my 40 gallon tank for $12.50 a hole.
Olympia Glass.

Back