Anyone ever try Garf Grunge?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I just swapped out my 15 year old 100 gallon reef tank with a 125. It was amazingly well established and overgrown. Now as expected, I am having a small cycle Just ordered a Garf Diverstiy package. It has 15 pounds of rubble from their various reef tanks intermixed over 30 years. Supposedly filled with stars and critters plus 2 bags of bugs=pods etc.

Gonna put it in my fuge. Figured it was worth a try. Not adding new rock for 15 years could make things kind of boring.
Should arrive today or tomorrow.

Here's a link: GARF.ORG - The reef aquarium place
and a slide show for those interested:
SALLY JO'S GARF GRUNGE PLUSª SLIDE SHOW

Well there is no arguing that it had a good reputation in the past. I believe it is just recycled fuge mud with some coral and LR bits ground up and mixed in.

We will see. I think my tank has gotten pretty sterile over the years. Never see any pods and there were no bristle worms when I did the swap. Hopefully this will get things going again.

Good deal Jim, adding to the bio- diversity of our systems IMO is very important. Sally-Jo's Bullet Proof Reef was one of my inspirations in going to a mixed reef in my current system.

Todd

Well Garf was a week late in shipping my order, due to a medical problem. It just arrived today. Got 1 bag of sand (grunge), 1 bag of sand and rubble (Grunge +) another bag with 4 rocks with lots of life, that totaled 15 pounds and filled my fuge about 1/3 of the way. Have the skimmer off for a day and had the pumps off for about an hour. The main tank is totally clouded up right now, should settle over night. Still have a bag of macro algae and two bags of bugs as they call pods, worms etc. They will go in in an hour or so after the fuge clears up a bit. The fish went crazy when the pumps turned back on and filled the tank with stuff to eat. Looking forward to seeing how it works now.

Well Garf was a week late in shipping my order, due to a medical problem. It just arrived today. Got 1 bag of sand (grunge), 1 bag of sand and rubble (Grunge +) another bag with 4 rocks with lots of life, that totaled 15 pounds and filled my fuge about 1/3 of the way. Have the skimmer off for a day and had the pumps off for about an hour. The main tank is totally clouded up right now, should settle over night. Still have a bag of macro algae and two bags of bugs as they call pods, worms etc. They will go in in an hour or so after the fuge clears up a bit. The fish went crazy when the pumps turned back on and filled the tank with stuff to eat. Looking forward to seeing how it works now.

Sounds like fun LOL, keep us posted I'd like to see how it works for you!

Back