Anyone every use a drip tray under their sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I have to move my 100 gallon reef for new carpet installation. Not at all looking forward to it btw.

Seems every couple of months I have water on the carpet as a result of the skimmer overflowing and bubbling over the sump wall or the sump overfilling from my ato. I am thinking about making a abs tray to go under the sump that would have a drain so if water leaks into it, it will go to a drain rather than the new carpet.

Anyone ever try this? My wife has a thing about soaked carpet in the living room.

I have one under my calcium reactor (a brand known to leak). It's saved my butt a couple of times. :)

I have a 2" lip on the inside of my stand that will catch 9-10 gallons of sump water before it goes out on the floor.

That's a good idea. You could also use a "leak alarm" inside the tray to let you know when there is water in the tray. I cannot think of the name of the product. I have a link on my computer at home.

g

I have a heavy duty rubber mat that is stapled up in there. It goes up about 4" all around the inside of my stand.

Great ideas! Thanks! Got to figure something out in the next couple of weeks, Then move the tank out for the carpet.

I have a drip pan in my sump workbench. Even have a "bilge pump" with a float switch so any spills pump out to the drain. I just bought mine as a scrap pc from a plastic supplier. It was called fiberglass grating.
Maybe this will give some ideas of what options you can do...

You could do something as simple as staple a flexible shower pan liner into the bottom of your stand.

I just installed a double float for my ATO (electircial) and going to add a manual one too. No way can all three fail at same time. At least I hope!

Back