Anyone feed thier reef w/rotifiers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xfisher

I just got some phyto-feast I think it's called from reef nutrition, should I turn off the main circ. pump when feeding,also when the best time to add it,I was thinking prob. after lites out when the corals have polyp extended.TRUE or FALSE ?

I feed phyto feast after lights out when polyps are extended...just as you suggested. I don't turn off any pumps at all. I think keeping pumps circulating helps disperse the phyto feast to all parts of the tank. Keep in mind that even organisms in the refugium or sump will benefit from this feeding. These organisms will then be of benefit by feeding the entire tank.

hm. I too use phyto-feast, but more because I have a young tridacnid (3", so he's not SUPER small). However, my understanding is that phyto-feast is a phytoplankton product i.e. it is small, simple algae. It does not contain zooplankton or rotifers that SPS and other corals like. FWIW, I am also using rotifers from reef nutrition, but that is a product called roti-feast.

i also just bought some nutramar prawn roe, it should be interesting to see how things respond to that.

Phyto-feast is algae based and a phytoplankton like 300ZXNA said Roti-feast is a zooplankton. I love Reef Nutritions products my fish also go nuts over Artic Pods.

Ya know, after reading through this again, I realized that I shouldn't post at 1:54 am...lol. I don't feed phyto-feast at all. I feed Coral Frenzy. Keep in mind that most corals are carnivorous and phyto is algae based. It won't do a lot of good for corals. Zooplankton would be a much better choice.

So what is the pros and cons of
Zoo and Phyto?

more info the better because I find this interesting. I just bought Rhoti foods from barrier reef on its annual sale to try out...

I never really understood in detail the differences in Phyto or Zoo (i should google it more i know)..but for conversation sake entertain me some =)

Phytoplankton are microscopic Algae, zooplankton are microscopic animal organisms.

Don't know that there's many pros to using phyto, although it will feed zooplankton and other tiny critters that are alive in your tank. It'll also be filtered out and eaten by clams, though with proper lighting, clams don't need to be fed directly.

On the other hand, phyto is an algae and can lead to algae problems. I used to feed it, not knowing that clams didn't need to be fed. I'd feed 2 or 3 times a day. During this time, I had more algae filming up on the glass than I do since stopping.

Zooplankton will feed most of the corals in your tank and other small critters as well!! If overfed, zooplankton could die off and lead to problems as well. I feed zooplankton 3 times per week, at night or a few hours before lights come on in the morning. I've noticed, since I started feeding, my corals have much more polyp extension and "seem" happier, although it's not like I can see their sunny, smiling faces to know for sure...lol.

Phytoplankton are microscopic Algae, zooplankton are microscopic animal organisms.

Don't know that there's many pros to using phyto, although it will feed zooplankton and other tiny critters that are alive in your tank. It'll also be filtered out and eaten by clams, though with proper lighting, clams don't need to be fed directly.

On the other hand, phyto is an algae and can lead to algae problems. I used to feed it, not knowing that clams didn't need to be fed. I'd feed 2 or 3 times a day. During this time, I had more algae filming up on the glass than I do since stopping.

Zooplankton will feed most of the corals in your tank and other small critters as well!! If overfed, zooplankton could die off and lead to problems as well. I feed zooplankton 3 times per week, at night or a few hours before lights come on in the morning. I've noticed, since I started feeding, my corals have much more polyp extension and "seem" happier, although it's not like I can see their sunny, smiling faces to know for sure...lol.

Thanks so much that is very helpful learning stuff for me. I may just stick with Zoo then. I don't over use the foods thank god... I think I use too little.

I have small frags all over my tank nothing huge as I am starting to get things perfected I am seeing deeper colors...colonization spreading slowly...and my first successful SPS in the tank established ... I graduated out of LPS with few months of keeping them alive... and was using that Phyto stuff.

I believe one squirt into the korilla 4 every 4 days. I am too lazy to direct feed. Since switching to Rhoti I have no idea what differences to look for...but I hope that I made a smart choice trying Rhoti and your post seems to make me feel I did. Thanks.

Feeding Frenzy

I just got some phyto-feast I think it's called from reef nutrition, should I turn off the main circ. pump when feeding,also when the best time to add it,I was thinking prob. after lites out when the corals have polyp extended.TRUE or FALSE ?

The best time to feed your aquarium corals is after the lights go out at night and during the time when you have your lunar lights on if you have some. I have found that PhytoFeast is good and also, if you can locate the frozen stick of cyclopeze, it is awesome for the corals and the fish. The corals will open up nicely for the cyclopeeze as well and the color on your fish will intensify after a few weeks on it.

just wanted to update on the prawn roe, just wanted to say that the fish and corals seem to love the stuff. Another option for feeding corals with larger mouths . . .

Back