Anyone had problems with Hamilton MH Ballast not firing all the time?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MC Lighting

A Little Overboard!
Sooo all of a sudden I seem to be having a problem with one of my 250W DE MH's not wanting to fire, I switched cables to see if ti was the bulb or the ballast it actually appears to be the ballast as same problem with both. If I restart power a few times it will eventually fire anyone else seen this problem? Ballast is only about a year old.

What lamp are you using with that ballast & how old is everything?
Ballast do go bad so you may need to return it for repair.

Although I didn't have a DE Hamilton, my SE Hamilton use to fire everytime off of a PFO Ballast. I'd check out the ballast possibly as Scooty suggested :)

its all hamilton so I would hope a hamilton bulb would fire on a hamilton ballast they are getting to the 10 month age but the fact that I swap cords with each end the problem still occurs on that ballast. I may just have to tear down the ballast and see if its a bad cap or something.

Did you swap Lamps with the working ballast, to see if both lamps fire on the good ballast?

yes I swapped plugs on both lamps to verify cord, lamp, lamp socket were in working order they both fire fine on the good ballast.

Your not unplugging it and a minute later trying to start it back up right? If you are that doesn't work with a mag ballast. But if you wait 30-40min it will fire again.

if you are refering to a warm lap restart no I am not and its only about 5 minutes that you have to wait for that to kick back in I am doing the power cycle on a cold bulb to get the prestart to fire...

Back