Anyone have horses or ride??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I went trail riding this past weekend and really want to learn how to ride (well) so I can eventually have my own horse. I know very little about horses, riding and horse care and was wondering if someone could share their knowledge with me.

I'd like to get some of my own "stuff" and was wondering how I go about choosing gear. What do I look for in a riding helmet, pants and boots? Is there some "common knowledge" I should know, or brands that I should stay away from???

Also what do I look for in a saddle?? I've done some searching on Ebay and there are so many choices and I REALLY don't know what to look for. I'm assuming since I would be riding trail, I would go with a western??

Lastly, when we do decide to buy a horse, what should be my main goal in the purchase? I've looked at tons of adds and pictures and don't know what would be a good buy for us... I will take any info I can get on what I need to do to begin riding. I know I have so much to learn. Thanks in advance!!

My wife is a big horse nut, and actually got a new horse yesterday. She rides english (she is english) I don't know a single thing about it tho besides it is way more work then a reef tank.

Becky - I think I lived on the back of a horse for most of my life. I competed on the Equestrian Team at Purdue during my University days (even went to Nationals). I haven't been consistently riding since graduation, though. I also rode hunt seat, like Tom's wife. I'll see if I can find some good info online for beginners. I was going to specialize in equine medicine, however, that didn't work out like I'd wanted :rolleyes:. I think the best thing you can do is find a good barn to take lessons at. Get to know alot about riding a horse before you purchase one. Once you are comfortable in tacking up a horse, grooming, and have been riding consistently, then you will know what qualities to look for in purchasing a horse. The other thing I strongly urge anyone to do when purchasing a horse, is to get a pre-purchase exam from a veterinarian. Use a different veterinarian than the seller's vet, to avoid a conflict of interest. Also, the veterinarian you choose will likely have hand-outs on the different vaccinations and worming schedules your horse will need. I would start out with lessons, and go from there. A good trainer will make suggestions on appropriate gear and get you started in the right direction.

I definitely second Nikki on this one. Find a reputable barn, take lessons, and don't rush into any decisions too quickly. For that matter, take lessons from one person for a few months, then take lessons from another for a few. Find a person that understands your wants and needs and get them to help you find your first horse and recommend equipment that fits your needs. A somewhat new practice is partial leases for horses. An owner can find themselves too busy to properly care for the horse, and not want it to just go to waste, so you basically pay for it's care, and in turn get to ride and use the horse for a set period of time. It would definitely be something to look into while you're figuring out exactly which aspects appeal the most to you.

Figuring out which "style" of riding you'll want to do is probably going to be easy, for now. You can always switch later, but western saddles are built for long hours of trail riding and rough terrain comfort. I'd definitely recommend starting with a good one. It doesn't have to be new, it just needs to be in good condition and FIT YOU. My pleasure saddle is a show saddle. The seat is deep and it's the same style I learned to ride in, so it's where I'm comfortable. Many people like wider seats, smooth leathers, it just really depends on how you are shaped, and the shape of the bars that the horse needs to fit it's own shape. These are all things a good trainer can teach you, easily.

To FIND a reputable trainer, I'd have to recommend going to http://www.aqha.com and searching for breeders in your area. Call a few of them, and ask who they would send a new horse lover to for beginning horsemanship help. If the same name comes up 2 or 3 times, you have a winner ;). Hope that helps! Welcome to your latest addiction! I had 18 horses at one point, but my allergies are really more fish tank friendly. I'll envy you ;).

Barbie

I agree with the others. I've grown up on the back of a horse...did the whole show circuit thing...went off on a rodeo circuit tangent for a while and then back to the show circuit. I think the best thing you can do is take it slow(just like reef tanks)...read, take lessons, and learn all you can before you jump in.

My neighbor raced quarter horses, so I learned the fast way:lol:
When growing up we rode quiet a bit, it has been years now since I last sat up on one but it is always a welcome for a chance to ride.

AGREED... find a good reputable stable that has a good lesson program. A good instructer will help pair you up with the right mount.

I have had horses my whole life. Growing up (teenage years) I am certain they kept me out of a lot of trouble. :rolleyes: The stable was my home away from home. Dressage was my passion for many years as I competed on my German bred Hanoverian mare (which I sold a few years ago). I don't ride much these days although I did go bareback riding a few weeks ago for kicks. I currently have 2 horses that my daughter, Brooke, rides. One is Sheba, a mare I got as a weanling (she is now 18 yrs old) and a new yearling appendix bred colt, Monti, who Brooke is going to train next year. She is totally sold out on hunter jumpers and rides very well ;) Here are a few pics of her riding sheba .....

(she normally rides with a hard hat (and a saddle) but here we were just goofing around for a few minutes)
61brooke_sheba.jpg

61brooke_jumping2.jpg

No horsey no ridey for me(LOL) Becky,i hope you aren't like Nikki who likes to flash people whe she rides(LOL) You need to let her tell you her story one day if you haven't heard it yet!

lol Krish! Nikki?? Any response here?? :) I will surf around on the net today and try to find a good barn to take lessons from...

I agree with everyone's advice in taking lessons before taking the plunge and purchasing horses. :) IMO That would be the equivalent of buying a moorish idol for a 20g :eek: and not knowing what the word salinity means.... For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to start riding, but during High school and Jr Hi, I never had the time due to many, many other hobbies.... Now I find myself without snowboarding slopes and good dive sites so I need a new hobby that I'm enthusiastic about :) If anyone can think of a good book I could buy, or maybe a good website I could find good beginner info on. When I'm surfing the net, there are just so many "horse" terms that I have no clue about. Thanks for the good responses!!!

I agree with Nikki for sure! I think your decission on research is a good idea. Take drive in the country where you are. Find advertisements and take note of the farm names. Take those names and go to a farm supply store and ask alot of questions. See if they know who these people are. Go to a few stores if you have to. The people that own the farms likely have had them for a very long time and have atleast used the farm supply at some point. These stores will also have book and good info. They will also have postings on riding lessons available in your area. Then go speak with several of the owners, you may find you click with one or more of them and make your decission from there. Oh and wear a helmet :D. all you should need in the begining is cloths you don't mind smelling like a horse, good boots with a heal and a helmet. Upgrade your gear as you learn to love the sport.

I ride english and western. I started out learning english, then switched to western. Not because one is better than the other. I just wanted to learn riegning. I also played a bit of Polo, but couldn't afford the horses to keep playing. Both are very useful for just trail riding and both require training. Find out what you would like to learn based on what you want to do mainly with your horse.

Oh and woodstock, takes a skilled rider to jump bare back I am impressed! Shame shame double shame. No helmet or boots (or riding shoes)though. Don't try this at home kids.

Last edited:
Here's a few I came up with real quick. You might think about joining a forum....I have a link to one below. Happy horsing!

Horses and Horse Information, New Rider (this is a forum like RF), Horsekeeping, Horse-Riding.net, Equine Info, Equine World UK, Cypress Trails, Wild Texas - I thought this site was kind of neat...not really horse related, but cool none the less.

These ought to get you started :D. Just remember, it is similar to getting started in reefkeeping.....you can easily get overwhelmed. Once you start hearing terms over and over again, you will learn about them. When you begin taking lesson, it all really comes together. You'll learn about the parts of the horse, reading a horses behavior, equipment, etc etc etc.

I hadn't thought about it, but there are a good number of videos out there for beginning horsemanship. Definitely look into a few of those. Most tack stores will carry them and do rentals and what not. That would allow you to see what the terminology is referring to, and get a better basic "feel" for things than you'll get with just a book. You're starting off right anyway! Just don't make the mistake of thinking you should buy a young horse and learn together. It can be done, but it's not a hot idea! Find yourself a nice well trained, trust worthy horse to start out with. You'll have plenty of years to try to get thrown off on your head later ;).

Now why on earth would you need riding shoes to ride bareback? :p The helmet I can see, although, I've got a picture around here somewhere of me doing almost exactly the same jump on my mare as a kid, hehe. I too sold my last mare this spring. I've had horses for 20 years. I doubt I'll be able to not replace her for too much longer ;).

Barbie

Nikki, Thanks for the links! I actually rode at Cypress Trails this past weekend and they seem to be a nice place. The trails are gorgeous and almost remind me of the Seattle countryside...I deffinately will check around and compare places but that place seems nice.

As far as lessons go, what is reasonable/expensive for riding lessons?? I'd like to at least get a helmet before I dive into lessons so are there any good brands or reccomendations for a good helmet? Also, as far as riding boots go, I'm assuming I would need/want a practical pair. I've seen rubber boots and leather boots and don't know which would be the best (or is it personal preference)... There are so many boots to choose from here in Texas :)

Also, one final question.... I've been looking at horses for sale and I've seen them go from 150K all the way down to 650 bucks. What drives up their prices??? The ones I've seen for 650 bucks don't look bad, but I don't know what I'm looking for.... I'm sure bloodlines and breed have a lot to do with it, but is there something that I'm overlooking here???

Thanks for all of the help so far! I am so excited about this and Texas seems like a great state to learn how to ride :)

Becky - I wouldn't jump the gun and start looking at horses just yet. Horse ownership is a huge responsibility and until you have been riding and getting your seat wet ;), I would highly recommend putting the purchase of a horse on the back burner. Anyone here can tell you about the cost of keeping a horse....boarding (if you aren't in your backyard), veterinary bills, farrier bills, grooming supplies, etc. As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of horse owners looking for folks to lease their horses to, so that would be something to consider, but I would start out with lessons first. Horse prices can be effected by a number of things, bloodlines one, but also training, age, sex, and accomplishments to name some others. Once you have been riding awhile, you will know the type of horse you are looking for. Have you decided what style of riding you want to do yet? Helmet purchase would be a good idea, and a tack shop can help you with that, and find a helmet to suit you. For boots, that will depend on your style of riding. I've always been partial to Vogels myself (have a pair in my closet collecting dust right now).....oh wait....you said resonably priced....nevermind :D. The cost of riding lessons, again, will depend on who your trainer is, and the stable you are taking lessons at. A stable with a nice assortment of lesson horses to learn on, with nice facilities will likely fetch a higher price per hour than a smaller stable. Check around, and find out about the trainers in the area. Go and watch some lessons, and see if you like the person's style. Also, group lessons will usually be cheaper than privates. Talk with the instructor, and see what they recommend you do/buy before your lesson.

Thanks for the advice! :) I guess I was just browsing online to see what horses went for. I had no idea as to how much a horse costs and was curious... That would be funny having a horse in my backyard :) I have very little grass cause a pool/concrete take up most of my backyard since we live in the city. I'm trying to talk my husband into moving to the country in a few years cause SOMEDAY I would like to have enought property for some horse.

I feel silly asking this, but I'm such a newby that I really don't know the difference between Western and English.... Someone care to share this with me??

ok Becky, i can tell you the principles

1- you get a toddler rocking pony once you master the rocking
2-you get a my little pony and buuala !! you got a pony :D
now if you want him english style just get the tea pot, a little bit of tea party and tara.. you got an english pony LOL!!!
you can call him pegasus :D :lol: .... ok ok sorry i couldn't resist myself

i really have no clue about horses, i just know that they do need to be brushed so many times and you get covered in horse's hair that its not even funny :oops: , other than that i have no clue on anything about them.
i hope you find what you are looking for and if you get your own horse please pictures ok :) .

sorry for the crazy talking :oops:

hehe :) I kept all of the "My little ponies" I had when I was little so I'm ahead there :lol: I've come across a LOT of places that give lessons, so I'll have to call around tomorrow. The Astros are taking my attention at the moment!

The only way I can explain the diffrence between the 2 is. English Your stirups<sp?> (where your feet rest) are raised, so your knees are more bent, this will allow you to post. Posting is the up and down motion you do (like siting up and down in the saddle) when trotting. You do this so you don't get sore while rideing. Or hurt the horse. You'll learn this in the first few lessons if not try in the first lesson. The saddle is smaller than a western saddle with no knob on the front of it. You also hold the riegns one in each hand. You will see english style riding in Olympic type of events, hunter jumper, jumping compotitions, polo (kind of, polo is whole other style) and drisauge <sp?>. (very sorry to those in these sports. I am a bad speller at everything.)

Western, that what the cowboys/girls ride. Your stirups are longer. stretching your leg longer so you more or less have to move your bottom with the motion of the horses back to get a comfortable ride. You hold both riegns in one hand and has the knob on the front of the saddle. This style you'll see in events like barrel racing, riegning (the famous slideing stop), rodeo's and cattle farming. This style allows a farmer to ride with one hand and rope or direct with the other.

In MY opinion there is no one style that is better or inferior to the other. Both have benifets the other doesn't. I have seen alot of nasty conversations between people on both sides of the fence and alot of people are adiment about the style they ride.

Please if anyone can explain it better please. I just hope I didn't confuse you. I tried not to make it to complicated by adding things you will learn with a visaul aide when you start your lessons.

Oh and yes I realize she was bareback. Just pointing out a no no for the new rider :D. I was just kidding around. I actually didn't put 2 and 2 together. was just thinking of the no helmet or shoes/boots thing hehe.

Last edited:
Back