Anyone here ever use ring flashes/lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
Just curious if anyone has been successful using ring/macro lights for tank photography? My fiance bought me the new Canon T1i for christmas, along with my requested Canon MR 14EX macro flash(*Although I can't use either until Christmas, GRR!! lol)... I plan on using it for tank photography mostly, so just wondering if anyone else has had success?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=141&modelid=8127

194480.jpg

MR-14EX.jpg

I've wanted one for a very long time, but so far, no luck!! Should work great for aquarium macro photography, as well as any other type of macro photography. Can't wait to see your pics, using it!! Unfortunately, I'll also have to wait until after Christmas to see your pics....lol.

That is rather cool and too high tech for me LOL. I wouldn't even know where to begin on how to use that thing.

Brie,,,i am thinking about getting it R1C1 wireless close-up flash myself for my XMAS present,,never been used either :D

4803_R1C1-Wireless-Close-Up-Speedli.jpg

looks cool goonalove it:),,,canon's looks a lot more easier to used

Brie,,,i am thinking about getting it R1C1 wireless close-up flash myself for my XMAS present,,never been used either :D

Yeah I was debating between the ring flash, or the twin flash... I'll probably just buy a twin flash later on down the road if I actually use this ring flash enough to warrant buying the twin. The ringflash is supposedly pretty smart, uses E-TTL, "Evaluative Through The Lens Flash Metering". Basically you compose the shot, it shoots one short burst of light to gauge levels, then automatically gives you the perfect amount of light needed, so it doesn't over expose or under expose the image. Plus you can choose to use just the left bulb, or just the right bulb if you don't want to use both(the light isn't actually a ring, just two bulbs, one on each side of the lens).

Yeah I was debating between the ring flash, or the twin flash... I'll probably just buy a twin flash later on down the road if I actually use this ring flash enough to warrant buying the twin. The ringflash is supposedly pretty smart, uses E-TTL, "Evaluative Through The Lens Flash Metering". Basically you compose the shot, it shoots one short burst of light to gauge levels, then automatically gives you the perfect amount of light needed, so it doesn't over expose or under expose the image. Plus you can choose to use just the left bulb, or just the right bulb if you don't want to use both(the light isn't actually a ring, just two bulbs, one on each side of the lens).

great info,,,i am considered still as the hagger myself any tips and help i can get really appreciated ,,thank you
camera west in Bellevue have in stock either R1C1 or small version R1,,gotta check these out.

great info,,,i am considered still as the hagger myself any tips and help i can get really appreciated ,,thank you
camera west in Bellevue have in stock either R1C1 or small version R1,,gotta check these out.

Check out Robi's Camera in Lakewood too. Its by far the best camera shop i've ever been to. I get prints made there too, best prices and quality i've found yet, far superior to places like Kits or Camera's West. Plus its always good to support the private, non-corporate shops. :)

http://www.rainierphoto.com/

Also, read this. Best review/in depth how-to on the Canon Macro Light. However I don't know if you can use it with a Nikon....

http://www.markusehrenfried.de/photography/canonmacroringlite.html

Please let us know how the ring light works out. Flash through glass is always hard for me, I end up seeing the reflection (none macro\close up) if the camera is not perfectly parallel to the glass.

Please let us know how the ring light works out. Flash through glass is always hard for me, I end up seeing the reflection (none macro\close up) if the camera is not perfectly parallel to the glass.

Yeah that'll happen no matter what... Although i've been thinking of experimenting with a circular polarizer to see how well that would work... Would just have to compensate for the darkness...

That would be sweet for fish or some inverts if it is fast at recycling a charge and evaluating. Corals don't move too much, so with a tripod there should be no need for a flash, plus the flash light will wash out the colors. My canon 100 mm f2.8 is not fast enough to focus on fish very well. I have a 24-70 f.2.8L coming for my x-mas present, so i'm hoping that will work better!

That would be sweet for fish or some inverts if it is fast at recycling a charge and evaluating. Corals don't move too much, so with a tripod there should be no need for a flash, plus the flash light will wash out the colors. My canon 100 mm f2.8 is not fast enough to focus on fish very well. I have a 24-70 f.2.8L coming for my x-mas present, so i'm hoping that will work better!

I use a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, which does a pretty decent job focusing on things if there is enough light. It sucks in lower light if there isn't a bright spot like white markings or a bright spot to focus on. One nifty function of most macro ring lights is the ability to provide focusing illumination, can't wait to try that out.

In lower light I usually use flash, or even in higher light with halides over the tank i'll use it just to elimate shadows. I use flash for fill only, not really to illuminate the whole scene or anything, cuz yeah, it really washes out colors.

I never really use a tripod for anything, except for nighttime sky photography.

For example, these photos here were taken with flash, through a diffuser...

4095351063_feee01b0df_o.jpg

4095314179_ce65866dfd_o.jpg

4096074670_2b248e15d1_o.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I have not owned one, but wanted one. Ring flashes were original used as medical equipment. Maybe copy work too. Nikon use to have one built into a 120mm lens at one time. From what I remember reading about them, they give a nice flat/even light across the image.

You can read here.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/special/120medical.htm

I'm just getting back into photography myself after selling F5 a few years ago. I know use a D700. Once my tank get up and running better, I'd like to get back into macro work again.

Good luck, and post some photos. I'd like to see 'em.

Back