anyone see a clown do this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cbates

about a week ago my clown started turning dark. nothing in the tanks changed and he is acting completely normal besides his color. he is the only clown in there now. all my water parameters are spot on. ive looked and only seen that onyx clowns change but it doesn't reallly look like this, any idea?
8632846232_21812c195f_b.jpg

Is it hosting that hammer coral or any other coral?
I would suspect sting marks if it is!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

My GSM female turned completely dark, while the male remained its original color.

It doesn't appear to be hosting in anything. It may be at night but I haven't see it. It's strange. It really only took three days for it to get so dark. I want him to go back, he's pretty ugly!

Looks like Hyper Melanization of clownfish from the frogspawn in the photo. Should be fine.

I think it is Hyper Melanization also. Its not really fine if it is that drastic. If it were only a few tiny black spots once in a while, it wouldn't be too bad, but if it is Hyper Melanization this poor thing is torturing himself.
Do you have a qt you can move her to for a while, or move your coral to. Give it some time and see if it clears up.
"I" would add a little stress coat to the water too. Help him build back up his slime coat.

I think it is Hyper Melanization also. Its not really fine if it is that drastic. If it were only a few tiny black spots once in a while, it wouldn't be too bad, but if it is Hyper Melanization this poor thing is torturing himself.
Do you have a qt you can move her to for a while, or move your coral to. Give it some time and see if it clears up.
"I" would add a little stress coat to the water too. Help him build back up his slime coat.
I have a qt ill move him into and wait to see if it clears. Have you used a stress coat before that works well?

I have used stress coat in my DT's (mixed reefs) before. I have seen good results when I used it. It is not a cure, but I believe it will assist in helping him get his slime coat back.
It certainly wont do any harm. If it clears up in QT, it will pretty much confirm that there is something in the tank causing it and I would bet its an LPS. Soft coral can cause it too. Mine host a toadstool leather and in the beginning they both had a few black smudges on them from it, but nothing as severe as yours. And I used stress coat in that tank for them.

Absolutely agree with ^above^ statements and is exactly what my pair of Clownfish looked like when first hosting my Frogspawn colony a few years back.

Cheers, Todd

I have used stress coat in my DT's (mixed reefs) before. I have seen good results when I used it. It is not a cure, but I believe it will assist in helping him get his slime coat back.
It certainly wont do any harm. If it clears up in QT, it will pretty much confirm that there is something in the tank causing it and I would bet its an LPS. Soft coral can cause it too. Mine host a toadstool leather and in the beginning they both had a few black smudges on them from it, but nothing as severe as yours. And I used stress coat in that tank for them.
Just to make sure, I would hate to add anything I would regret but the API stress coat is safe to put in? I would much rather be safe then sorry!. So this suff Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Coat ?

Yes, that is the stuff!
And you will be using it in the QT so it is fine to use it as per instructions. I wouldnt use quite as much in the DT, as it may make the skimmer go crazy, but I also turned the skimmer off for a while too.

Perfect, thanks again! I will go pick some up and treat the clown in qt and give the cube mixed reef a little as just a boost

Perfect, thanks again! I will go pick some up and treat the clown in qt and give the cube mixed reef a little as just a boost
The DT is not necessary, but if you do, watch your skimmer. You may need to adjust it or even turn it off for a few days.

Back