Anyone thought of doing an outdoor saltwater pond?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbusha

I know it sounds crazy-but I've actually thought of doing one-using local fish, etc.. from the sound.

I have several friends that have freshwater, garden ponds...not my cup o' tea. Thought I would do one, but on the extreme side of course.

I realize there are many factors and problems could arise (salinity, evaporation, water quality, etc...)

Just wondering if anyone has thought of it or actually has done it.

Derrek

Yes !

I'm trying to design a new landscape for my back yard. While i plan on a pond, it was thinking of saltwater. I planned on doing a sample pond of about 50 gallons in July to test what happens.

My only issue is how to get small live fish.

I've run a cold water saltwater tank during the wintermonths in my unheated garage. GREAT for catching dungenes crab then keeping them alive for a couple weeks picking them off one by one for dinner.

Outdoor pond? Of local cold water 52F year around seattle critters? In July? I don't know if you guys are kidding or not but that'll turn into a death pond for sure.

During winter months yeah, if you can keep it 52F +/- 5 degrees.

Yes i did think of it, but haven't spent allot of time researching it.

Nothing wrong with thinking of ways to do something different than others.

You brought up some good pints about the weather and issues of heating. That would have been a few steps down the road since one has to start a plan and then design it to figure out all of the ramifications.

Another problem I can see would be trying to keep the salinity stable. With all the rain we have in the Winter, it would be difficult. Also the pollutants in the rain probably wouldn't be beneficial for the 'critters'.

Vicki

To quote Eichorn "You brought up some good points about the weather and issues of heating. That would have been a few steps down the road since one has to start a plan and then design it to figure out all of the ramifications.

Note to self: Don't tell Eichorn to jump off a cliff without telling him about Gravity first, he might wait till after to "figure out all the ramifications".

Before you post things on the internet, you might want to think them through a bit......geez. I mean the obvious, well, can't get more obvious?,

But go ahead and "try new things dfferent than others"...........see you at the bottom of the cliff.

Rockheap,

I would just put on a parachute anyway. I miss skydiving.

Besides, what is wrong thinking about the issues that seem to be a little crazy? I said that i started thinking about it, I never completed the project.
Haven't you ever thought of anything bnot in the mainstream, or are you just boring?

Last edited:
Call me boring, but at least I think before I speak. Or type on the internet.

Actually I've applied for 2 patents in my life, how about you?

Let's keep the personal attacks down here people. This is a friendly site. There is no need to bash people for starting a discussion.

An outdoor saltwater pond would be tough here, but with enough thought and planning pretty much anything is possible. Personally, I think it would be a really cool project. Lots of variables to account for.

Jeff and I were joking around the other day, when we bought the kids one of those easy set pools, about filling it with saltwater and turning it into a reef. LOL
On a serious note, though, what about putting one of those glass greenhouses around the pond?

Last edited:
One of the better ways to keep it insulated would be to bury the pool/pond and run tubing around the entire edge and have that tubing running through either a hotwater tank or a freezer depending on your needs. Now for keeping things out, I've seen a few that are enclosed and just have a very similar system as heating/cooling for introducing fresh air.

it would definitely have to have a seperate area with stable room temperature. would be awesome to have a green house AC'd with like a 5000 gallon pool underground or something. hell if i was rich i'd have all kinds of crazy aquariums

Back