Anyone try Reef Angel controller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

freakin

It's something of an open source arduino-based reef controller.

Out of the box it handles most of the needs of a controller and has a 8-outlet relay box, 3 temp probes and PH probe for $200. You can also use it to control LED arrays.

Since it is built on Arduino you can pretty much make it do whatever you like. The creator is also working on a wifi addon that would allow parameter monitor and outlet + scheduling control from a web interface.

It looks pretty sweet and I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on one. I was going to build my own Arduino PWM controller for my planned LED array but this seems a bit easier and a little bit more pretty than whatever I would build.

Anyone local have one?

www.reefangel.com

Flyer.jpg

Here are the included basic features

Feeding mode
Water Change Mode
View Log
Dawn and Dusk dimming
Lights Overheat
LED PWM Control
ATO Timeout (keeps from flooding your tank)
Wavemaker
Temperature Sensors
Dump Log to PC
Dump Parameters to PC

this is sweet, ive never heard of them but since they control LED's i might have to look into them and return my apex unit, but i still would like to read about how to hook up the LED's to the new Apex.

this is sweet, ive never heard of them but since they control LED's i might have to look into them and return my apex unit, but i still would like to read about how to hook up the LED's to the new Apex.

from a brief bit of research you'll need to wire your own cable to the RJ45 jack on the Apex.

I just ordered the Reef Angel controller and the PWM booster circuit for the meanwells. The creator (Roberto aka newhobby on nano-reef.com) emailed me within 10 minutes to ask how I wanted the PWM circuit installed in the relay box. Great service!

He is apparently also great about emailing out updates to code whenever he adds new features.

I'll post again when I get it and install it!

no PH controll
NO TEMP control??
These are the big selling factors for most Reef Controllers now days.

no PH controll
NO TEMP control??
These are the big selling factors for most Reef Controllers now days.

The list of features I posted was actually the list of software library functions rather than product features. I misspoke somewhat by calling it the list of features.

PH Control or monitoring? It does PH monitoring.
I'm like 99% sure it does temp control as well (turn thermo on/off, turn lights off if it gets too hot, etc).

The important part of me, however, is that anything that is not already included will be developed. The software library release is version .8, meaning the author still believes the controller to be incomplete. He adds stuff all the time.

I'll let you know what I think after I get it. I don't have $3-400+ to spend on a controller so the choice between RKL + an extra PC4 module @ $190 or the reef angel which can also control my LEDs and come with a PH probe for $200 was a no brainer, especially since it's arduino based and I get to tinker :D

You can also use it to control LED arrays.
Since it is built on Arduino you can pretty much make it do whatever you like. The creator is also working on a wifi addon that would allow parameter monitor and outlet + scheduling control from a web interface.It looks pretty sweet and I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on one. I was going to build my own Arduino PWM controller for my planned LED array but this seems a bit easier and a little bit more pretty than whatever I would build.

Just to confirm, you can definitely have it turn off whatever you like at certain temps. The code is quite simplistic.

The group of people that have it are part of a google group and ask questions openly of the rest of the group. Roberto (the creator) usually responds within an hour. If someone has a suggestion then he incorporates it in the next code revision. I don't even have this thing yet and I'm already impressed.

Anyone know where I can get a very small amount of PH7 and PH10 solution? I don't really want to pay $18 on MD for big bottles of it

Freakin, when are you expecting to have it on hand ??? I to am working on some LED DIY projects and have been looking at DA and Neptune for awhile and have not made a decision. I'll research all thier info but, the best info is always from end user. Keep us posted.

Todd

Todd- I don't expect to have it for another week and a half or so, assuming his 2-week backorder is accurate (which he confirmed). I don't expect the controller to have as much mass-appeal as some of the off the shelf products that are twice as expensive but for someone who likes to tinker and wants full control over the hardware and software it looks perfect.

Back