Anyone use a C02 reactor for an ozone reactor?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

I've been seaching for alternatives for things to use as an ozone reactor. I was thinking of purchasing a seperate skimmer to run the ozone in, but I'm worried about sump realestate. I've really only seen 1 ozone reactor on the market, but it's pretty pricey..

Has anyone ever used a C02 reactor as an ozone reactor with good results?

here are a few that I've come across:

CO2 Reactor-M with Attached Powerhead by AquaMedic
CO-Reactor%20M-1.jpg

CO2 Reactor 1000 by AquaMedic
AM-CO2-1000.jpg

thanks in advance for any feedback/thoughts/ideas :D
Ben

The issue I would be concerned with pertains to the likelihood of those parts not being able to withstand the ravages of ozone....and crumbling.

Consider the loop of pipe such as what Kevin Po is using, with water pumped through and ozone injected via venturi. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to make ozone-resistant. D

If you want to go super cheap I have an old tap water purifier cylinder with capped ends, looks like the second device pictured, the ends screw off and you could add the bio balls. It is definitely cheap material so would not last you a long time but it is free if you want to give it a try.

The ones posted above will fall apart real quick, they don't even hold up well to co2. There are a few reactors on the market, but as stated they are expensive and don't work well at all. Obviously the skimmer is going to be the easiest but most skimmer will not hold up to ozone. You would need a cell cast skimmer and most of the cheaper ones are continuous cast which is really not any better than extruded.
I agree the tube systems work well but require allot of pump and extra space. Another option is a glass lab ozone diffuser. Not real cheap but are small and work well.

Don

We have been having a discussion on O3 reactors on the RC chem. forum. I use to help in designing them many years ago. Some of my ideas went into one of the MTC O3 /O2 reactors but were just to expensive and have been dropped. Don is correct some skimmers and CO2 units break down. Usually it is do to the cheap plastics which turn yellow, and may become brittle and crack = water on floor :lol: The CO2 Reactor 1000 by AquaMedic will work fine but it still will have to be watched for yellowing. I have run many cheap plastic skimmer, such as the Sanders, which did last for years but did turn yellow and sure seemed brittle but they never cracked. One issue with these is that they were internal units so no an issue if they break.

MTC makes about the best one and it works well but still could be better. In O3 reactor it is best to get away from "burp" tubes and install a float switch that controls the air. Many reactors are also to short in height.The cheapest type are the loop type as Don mentioned.

A proper O3 reactor should be running on pressurized air form 5- 10 psi, as pressure increase the efficiency of the reactor greatly. We ran some years ago up to 20 psi but that is kind scary :)

Here is one of mine with out the mods, where later a electronic float switch was added, the balls removed, the upper drip plate removed and a high pressure "misting" nozzle was added to atomize the water entering the reactor. When running the inside of the reactor looked like a tumbling fog bank. It is 3 ' by 6 "

O2-3Reactor2001.jpg

As Boomer mentioned sander makes a line of tiny skimmers that work very well for a long time that can handle O3. Another alternative to the Sander since they are so hard to come by in the US is a tunze skimmer cup. Buy a Tunze 2010 skimmer cup and extend the the tube with cell cast acrylic then use a air stone to atomize the O3 just like the sander. The cast acrylic will yellow in time but the tunze cup will last much longer. Drill holes in the cup and fill with carbon. Set the water level so the skimmer cup is always flooding and the water returns through the carbon. All your doing is creating an air lift with a place to hold carbon.

Don

Back