Anyone using window film to prevent algae growth?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I have a large window above my stairway that causes continual algae growth in my tank. Has anyone tried any kind of window tint film on their nearby windows? Lowes and HD both carry Gila, but I do not know which to choose.

Any suggestions would be helpful, I have considered mini blinds also, it would be too high to open or close them.

Be careful about using after market window tint on a dual glaze window. I believe you need to use it on the outside of the house because if you use it on the inside it will reflect heat back into (between) the windows and ruin the glazing essentially ruining the whole prupose of the dual glaze window. When this happens moisture gets between the panes and they will either get condensation or turn milkey. Im sure this doesnt happen in every application but it is possible. My brother has mentioned this a time or two, has been installing windows for years, and works with the manufactures. Ill ask him and get back to you after work.

Last edited:
If I understand the thread correctly, the assumption is that natural sunlight (which we try to reproduce in our tanks through the use of artificial lighting) is causing unwanted algae growth. Algae only grows when there are sufficient nutrients. Rather than trying to eliminate a free source of lighting for the tank, I would suggest reducing the nutrients.

If I understand the thread correctly, the assumption is that natural sunlight (which we try to reproduce in our tanks through the use of artificial lighting) is causing unwanted algae growth. Algae only grows when there are sufficient nutrients. Rather than trying to eliminate a free source of lighting for the tank, I would suggest reducing the nutrients.

I agree entirely. My favorite days are when the sun is shining through the window into the tank. The corals love the extra light. I guess if fish only, makes no difference. Do more water changes, more maintenance, or add some blinds.

The biggest issue is algae on the glass. I can tell it is from the window because there is a clean spot where a post blocks the light. I would just like to scrape the glass less. Everything else is pretty clean. I do all the maintenance and water changes needed. It is not direct sunlight. What ever indirect light is causes algae to grow rapidly on the glass.

The biggest issue is algae on the glass. I can tell it is from the window because there is a clean spot where a post blocks the light.

The light is probably just giving the algae the extra little kick that it needs, accelerating growth in those spots, but it is not the direct cause of the algae. As stated above, nutrient reduction will do more good than anything else. Look at your nitrate and phosphate levels, and try to get them as close to zero as you can. It may mean you have to step up your water changes, use more carbon, skim more, ect....

MikeS

5% all the way around...... if you have windows and out side like even comes close...

i would just go to the auto store...(or try to get your self lamar brand)
and do it your self...

Gila will work great I worked for home depot for a while and had to take classes on the product and they have different types. Natural light is good for your environment though maybe you could get a shade? I dunno.

Back