Apex Neptune Probe Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hey guys, quick noob question about the neptune probes...

I have a pH probe and a temp probe I'm going to hook up tonight.

I've used the pH probes at work, so I know I need to take the rubber end-cap off for it to work.

BUT, the temp probe also has a rubber end-cap, and it seems to be on VERY tight. Am I also supposed to remove this one? Or, does it stay in place? I tried to get it off last night, but it was very tight and I was afraid I was going to break it, so I thought I'd see what you guys had to say...

jrgilles

OK, I thought I read the manual, but apparently I didn't read all of it. Posting the answer incase anyone finds this thread through google.

The Temp probe cap IS NOT removable, the pH cap must be removed, and once the cap is removed, it must be kept wet. If you need to store it out of the tank, the rubber lid should be filled with pH 4.0 buffer (what it says in the directions to the Apex), so it does not dry out, or the probe is dead.

rob

Yep that is what I recall. Temp probe cover (red) is not removable. I have had my ph probe stored in water for about two years waiting for my new tank but I am sure it is dead after a move and i surely didn't use pH 4.0 just tap. I guess I will be in the market for a replacement soon.

I have never seen a temperature probe with a removable cap. If you remove the cap, there is a good change you may break the temperature probe. The cap on most pH probes is clear with fluid in it. You need to remove it. Per the previous post, never leave a pH probe dry or store it in distilled water.

Back